Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old circular saw died in an untimely manner.
Looking to buy a new one. Will only be used occasionally. I just want something reliable It will mostly be used to cut 3/4" plywood down to a manageable size. Sometimes that cut might be the finish cut. Finish cuts can also be cleaned up with a router.
Looking to spend not much more than a C-note.
Which saw would you recommend and definitely not recommend.
Note: I realize for the money I want to spend, that cordless is out of the question.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...-Compact-Framing-Circular-Saw-R3204/205076385

I've had one of these as my only circular saw for about 10 years. I love it. It's nice and light.

The blades are a little harder to find, but I found a good Freud combo blade. I also found a cheap Avanti 80t plywood blade, but I rarely use it since I always finish cut my plywood on the table saw.

I've used it for both framing and woodworking.

·
where's my table saw?
27,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
a battery powered device for "occasional" use, is a recipe for "mega disappointment"
dead/ half shot / semi charged battery vs "full performance plug in"- not a contest.

pick one with a max "standard" blade diameter - meaning you can easily find/get/buy "specialty" blades.
there is not issue using a 6" blade on a 7.25" blade diameter saw unless of course your need a big depth cutting reach....
the 'small blade diameter' is more an issue with the battery powered models....

the left / right placement is in practice - a non-issue.
one wishes the wider part of the shoe to be on the uncut area. why try to manage a cut on a 2" plate width when you can manage it on a 5" wide plate....

if you are using a guide on sheet goods, not especially difficult to manage left/right max plate width....

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've had a Skil saw since 1960, so when I saw this one I jumped at it for the price:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731Q92BY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't recommend it as yet, but I like all the features as well as the price, especially having the blade on the left side so you can see your cut line more easily!
I recently bought this saw and really like it. I have cut down a bunch of plywood and having the blade on the left (I am right handed) has made a big difference. An edge guide was not included so I had to buy one for about $16.00.
My only complaint is that there is no dust port/chute so no way to attach a dust collector. Otherwise a very cool tool for the money.
For a right handed person, having the blade on the left makes it easy to see the cut line and when cutting down plywood you can walk the saw down the length of the plywood and see the cut line.
It's also comparatively light compared to other saws in it class.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Why yes, sometimes that does happen!

My 11 year old craftsman routers both are on their last leg, even after replacing brushes, and I have already purchased a new Bosch MRC23EVSK and a DeWalt DW611PK this year.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I liked the Skilsaw for 98 bucks but I finally decided on the Dewalt 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw with Electric Brake, 15-Amp (DWE575SB) for $129. The thing that sealed the deal was the electric brake. I hate waiting for a blade to stop. It's a right side blade because i like the wide side of the foot on the left side.
About the only cutting I do with a circ saw is with a straight line jig. That was very rare in the past but now with only a 36" rip capacity on the table saw, the circ saw will get some exercise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Circular saw

Find your local power tool repair shop. They almost always have tools that they have repaired but the owner never came to pick it up once it's repaired. You should be able to get a fully reconditioned saw for pennies on the dollar. 7.25" for the best selection of replacement blades.
SA

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,869 Posts
My favorite is an old corded Makita missing the cover spring. it has a nice, big, flat foot about 5 1/8th wide and just high enough that I can fit and clamp an aluminum carpenters square under the motor for when I want to cut the ends of things without worrying about rolling off the edges.. Nice and powerful motor. It'll cut just about as nice as the table saw..

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Midnight tool shopping is challenge.
I'm starting to wear out my balaclava and hoodie.

Got around to using the new DeWalt DWE575SB today. Feels much lighter than the old one I just chucked.
I think it was a good choice for me and I really like the electric brake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts