Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a better idea than taping a vacuum hose to the housing for dust control on an older circular saw? This was not very effective but did seem to capture some of the finer dust. Not enough to consider it a success.

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
not much attention paid to DC on CC

Circular saws are mainly used outdoors, so no one cared if and where the dust went on the site. The newer track/plunge saws have better dust control and there is an additional reason. They essentially have a zero clearance plate around the blade which makes for a splinter free cut and isolates the dust better.

The plunge action is part safety feature also since the blade is not left spinning and exposed. If you were to make a zero clearance plate for the bottom of a standard saw and plunge the spinning blade down into it, it would be a safety issue. Having said that, many experienced carpenters use the saw with the blade guard wedged back away from the work to allow specialized cuts like "backing up" with the saw. I would NOT recommend that for the sake of dust control or any other convenience even though on occasion I have done exactly that myself.

If you must use a circular saw inside and dust is a big issue, then
I would continue with a shroud as you have designed. The hose must be soft and very flexible or hung overhead or it will continue to get in your way. Some household vacuums have a softer and lighter hose that may work better than a shop vac which is more rigid. Take a look a vertical panel saws which have dust collection shrouds for some other ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts