Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to work in the shop and trying eliminate clutter on tables and work benches. I have always layed my circle router jigs flat, but there always having to be moved.

Any suggestions for hanging?

The problem...... I dont want th e weight of the router bending the jig just hanging th here.

Thought maybe someone had pictures?
Furniture Shelf Shelving Wood Publication

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,748 Posts
how often do you use the jig attachments ?
if seldom used, remove it from the router and hang them on the wall.
if used often, make a hanger from the ceiling where you can hang the whole router & fixture.

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have setting on the jigs that require me to leave them on. Any twist, etc changes the settings.

I'm thinking I may have to make a cradle to hold the routers weight when hung.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
Trying to work in the shop and trying eliminate clutter on tables and work benches. I have always layed my circle router jigs flat, but there always having to be moved.

The problem...... I dont want th e weight of the router bending the jig just hanging th here.

That's easy, don't hang them by the end of the jig, hang them by the router's hole. All the weight of the router will be on the peg that fits into the hole and the jig doesn't weigh all that much, so no stress from that.

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I came up with a plan using a bungie cord hooks.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Bridge jumping with a router?
Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kinda what I'm trying to accomplish. I couldnt find the longer bungie for two. I'll have to bend the bungee ends to fit in the hole. Trying to get the weight off the wood circle jig.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
Kinda what I'm trying to accomplish. I couldnt f iij nd the longer bungie for two. I'll have to bend the bungee ends to fit in the hole. Trying t pl ge th the weight off the wood circle jig.
That's exactly why I said hang it by the router bit hole so the weight of the router is not on the circle jig. You can hang it router end down if you have a retainer bracket above to keep it from tipping or a slot below for the jig to rest in or both. OR you can hang it router end up and jig end down. I remove the routers on mine and store them with just the base attached to the jig, less weight. OR I just remove the router and the base which leaves just a flat jig, much easier to store and hang on a wall.

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's not hung by the router hole.i thought o loaded a picture , but guess not. Here it is. I want the plywood flat against the w as ll..
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Machine Engineering

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
I don't know how to explain it better than I did. It hangs flat on the wall on a peg through the bit hole on the router. no straps, no bungies.

That's exactly why I said hang it by the router bit hole so the weight of the router is not on the circle jig. You can hang it router end down if you have a retainer bracket above to keep it from tipping or a slot below for the jig to rest in or both. OR you can hang it router end up and jig end down. I remove the routers on mine and store them with just the base attached to the jig, less weight. OR I just remove the router and the base which leaves just a flat jig, much easier to store and hang on a wall.
It's not hung by the router hole.
(you asked for suggestions how to hang it.)
I thought o loaded a picture , but guess not. Here it is. I want the plywood flat against the w as ll..
View attachment 431739

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't like the idea. I know what your saying , but I have a better method...

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woodnthings I appreciate your help.

Mine sit flat on tables and stay flat
Shelving Wood Shelf Building Gas

This what happend if I use s peg board hang it thru the hole the way you suggest.
Wood Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel

Wood Automotive tire Gas Metal Close-up

Because the top and bottom dont sit firmly on the wall. Theres no guarantee it will stay flat with pressure pushing against It on the bottom.

I see this as no different that meaning a sheet of Baltic birch against a wall.and expecting it to stay flat, it wont...

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This larger radius jig makes this poker table. All setting are on that jig. If it gets ruined I have no way to make a duplicate...
Automotive tire Light Automotive design Wood Hood

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
What's the problem removing it from the base? The screws will realign it. I don't understand?

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because there patterns. The same reason I don't take my dovetail bit out of my Bosch router when I'm not using my omnijig. It's set and I don't need the router..the same reason I leave three in the router table for doors, or the one in the single router table and in the tablesaw. I don't need to disturb the setting.. I have other options.Most struggle to buy there first 3+ hp router, I got plenty I dont need...
Motor vehicle Shelf Gas Electrical wiring Technology

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll tell you a lil secret about 3+ hp routers and door making. There great out of the gate , but long term use under heavy loads there not...I really like the Dewalt 625 router. As you can see I have two. Both speed controllers burnt out running panels. I changed them and continued to have problem. I know have a very old metal 3+ PC router in there. So far so good . But I was doing less at the end and it wasn't a proven router.

If your just hobby woodworking routers can last a long time. If you expect to make money from them, you better start buying back ups. This is why I have so many...

·
Registered
Termite
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dump run is a work in progress. I've got a pile of maple shorts I use for solid drawers. I'm going through it this week. If I cant restock them on another pile, some of them are going to make hell of a nice spice rack on the pantry door..

I need to start back on my poker table. Too many small projects..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts