Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My church just bought another building and wants to get rid if the existing pews. They are made of oak and range in length from 8 to 15 feet. Not sure how many bf are.
How can I tap into a possible buyer? Any idea of $ per bf?

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
tugcapt said:
My church just bought another building and wants to get rid if the existing pews. They are made of oak and range in length from 8 to 15 feet. Not sure how many bf are.
I would get a hold of someone in church planning and find out if a new startup church might need them. Are they straight or curved? Padded seat? Surely there is a church in your area setting on plastic chairs.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
722 Posts
In my area there are business that broker used pews. I would expect them to have more value as used pews than as reclaimed lumber. I could be wrong though.

·
where's my table saw?
28,567 Posts
I made mine into a bench seat

They make great hall benches when shortened to around 4 or 5 ft. These are being restored:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'd try a craigslist ad. Many years ago, I saw an ad for pews being sold off by a church that was closing. We had a spot in our home at the time that would have held one nicely. I looked, hesitated, and they were gone in about 2 days. They were being offered in whatever quantity a buyer wanted; I have no idea if they went one at a time, or all to one buyer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you were in western Washington I'd probably buy them. They make great little benches when you shorten them up. People always go "is that a church pew??" It's a great conversation piece if nothing else.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'd try a craigslist ad. Many years ago, I saw an ad for pews being sold off by a church that was closing. We had a spot in our home at the time that would have held one nicely. I looked, hesitated, and they were gone in about 2 days. They were being offered in whatever quantity a buyer wanted; I have no idea if they went one at a time, or all to one buyer.
I see them from time to time here and they're always free. Like you, I've waited to call for them, and when I did, they were gone. I can see many uses for the wood.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There are tons of used church pews for sale and many companies that specialize in used church items. They don't move very fast and prices are negotiable. Individual 12' pews run between $100 and $300 depending on style, padding, etc. Far less than the cost of the lumber. Very few people are going to church these days, less making donations and churches are closing up at a high rate.
http://www.usedpews.org/usedpews.htm

·
Reclaimed Woods
22 Posts
@tugcapt - where are you located? How many pews/board feet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts