Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an old church pew to go on my front porch. It needs work. I think I'm gonna have to take the sides off and re-glue it. Any suggestions on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
No where near enough info to give you any suggestions. How are the ends joined, screws, glue?

How about posting some photos.

Most times church pews are very dirty and contaminated after years of use. Nor are they built for exterior use. If you plan to re-finish them, it's a big job

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HowardAcheson said:
No where near enough info to give you any suggestions. How are the ends joined, screws, glue? How about posting some photos. Most times church pews are very dirty and contaminated after years of use. Nor are they built for exterior use. If you plan to re-finish them, it's a big job

image-4264135889.jpg

Before
And after photos

Attachments

·
Registered
26,979 Posts
I've done quite a few. There was a antique dealer that had me cut down some that were about 12' long into lengths about 4'. The ends are usually glued on pretty good. I normally use a 8 lb sledge hammer with a block of pine and gradually work my way around the joint.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i just cut one down from 11 feet to 4. the back and bottom were screwed to the ends. on the back there was a small trim piece covering the holes. on the bottom there was a thick support piece under the seat covering those. the light spots at far left are screws in the bottom and you can see the ones in the back at the bottom right. the support piece on the right has been reattatched. the screws were under it that held the bottom on. there was also a piece of molding covering the holes where the back screwed to the bottom.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts