Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any advice on lathe chucks, never had one, theres so many, woodcraft,hurrican,nova, I have a full size craftsman 2hp, model351.217170, Im looking for a self centering type about 4in. is a dove tail better than the regular? and are they worth the price rite @ 150.00 Thanks guys OH YEA WHATS THE INDEXING WHEEL ON THE BACK FOR?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The best recommendation I can offer is to choose a chuck that you'll be able to transfer easily to your next lathe.

I've read lots of complaints about that particular model of lathe -- everything from the speed control circuit burning out to the spindle freezing up. (You can find the discussions yourself simply by entering the model number in a Google search.)

So -- if you're going to sink money into a decent chuck (and in my opinion, they are worth it -- especially if you want to turn bowls) just be sure you leave your options open.

I'd vote against the WoodRiver chuck because it uses 2 tommy bars to operate the jaws.

The SuperNova2 has a good reputation, as do Oneway and Vicmarc (plus there's a model by Grizzly which is a clone of the Vicmarc, John Lucas has commented on it in this forum.)

Both SuperNova and Oneway use $20 inserts to make the chuck fit the drive shaft of your lathe -- get a new lathe, you'll be able to move the chuck to it simply with a new insert (if it's different).

PennState Barracuda is another decent model from what I've heard. I went cheap and bought the PennState "Utility Chuck" -- like the WoodRiver, it uses a pair of tommy bars. My next chuck will be a single key.

I think I've seen the Hurricane chucks on eBay -- they appear to be "single size", not as easy to move to a new lathe. Couldn't tell the quality from the listings.

·
7,222 Posts
Search the forum to see earlier threads. This is a frequent topic.

Good information in the reply by duncsuss.

I may not be interpreting the index wheel part. The back of many scroll chuck is geared. This is used to tighten the jaws. The two common methods are a big hex key or a large geared key which looks like a big Jacobs chuck key.

Some folks like the hex key, some folks, like me, prefer the geared key. Different strokes for different folks.

The companies which sell the dovetail style of jaw claim this hold better than straight jaws, which makes sense. Work better if you bevel your tenons to match the dovetail bevel.

I have the Oneway Talon chucks. The jaws have serrations on the jaws for grip. Works well, but it does leave marks which either need to be turned or parted off.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have mostly Novas and they are all good (SN,SN2,G3). I also have a WC, it was OK but for almost the same $$ you can get a Nova which imho is much better quality.
An Indexing wheel (as on the back of a SN2) is for divisions of a circle. Wheels typically have from 12 to 24 indexes. So with a 24 you can mark equal spaces around with 2,3,4,6,8,12,or 24 equal points. I have never used mine.
You can get a reconditioned SN2 from the service center for about $110 plus insert.
http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm
You can get a G3 from the bay or Amazon for $125 including insert & shipping.
Other brands also get high marks but the Nova is what I have experience with.

Reactions: thebaminit

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Ok so I saw this one, what does any o e know or think about this one pictures below?

Easy chuck.

image-3703599761.jpg

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I attended a demo at Woodcraft in NH by Craig Jackson from EasyWood.
The $500.00 chuck's gimmick is that you can change the jaws without having to undo the 8 Allen screws.
You press in a release pin and the jaw opposed off.
That's it.........
I have a $139.00 Nova G3 on my 46-460 and I love it.
I'll get more jaws later but Im having a blast with what I have.

·
7,222 Posts
Oh yeah...I almost forgot....take a look at the price for additional jaws :eek:
Also take a look at the price for the inserts if you need one.

This may be a really nice design, but he is pricing this out of the market for many people, including myself.

I would rather have 2 OneWay Talon chucks with jaws and inserts for the same price as a single chuck with easy to change jaws. I can change chucks faster than he can change jaws.

I admire the technical details of the design, just not the price. :thumbdown:

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
robert421960 said:
Yeah thought I'd get 2 or 3, one for each set of jaws lol
Oh that kinda does away with the purpose

tcleve4911 said:
I attended a demo at Woodcraft in NH by Craig Jackson from EasyWood.
The $500.00 chuck's gimmick is that you can change the jaws without having to undo the 8 Allen screws.
You press in a release pin and the jaw opposed off.
That's it.........
I have a $139.00 Nova G3 on my 46-460 and I love it.
I'll get more jaws later but Im having a blast with what I have.
Looks a great concept, hope others imitate it

Dave Paine said:
Also take a look at the price for the inserts if you need one.

This may be a really nice design, but he is pricing this out of the market for many people, including myself.

I would rather have 2 OneWay Talon chucks with jaws and inserts for the same price as a single chuck with easy to change jaws. I can change chucks faster than he can change jaws.

I admire the technical details of the design, just not the price. :thumbdown:
True, more chucks would be the cheaper way. And the easy chuck does not seem to have a complete package price either. From what I see it looks like it only comes with one set of jaws

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
7,222 Posts
True, more chucks would be the cheaper way. And the easy chuck does not seem to have a complete package price either. From what I see it looks like it only comes with one set of jaws

Dave The Turning Cowboy
Yes one set of jaws and NO insert, so if your lathe needs an insert, add about $80, not cheap.

My lathe would need an insert. Good design, but not so good pricing.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Dave Paine said:
Yes one set of jaws and NO insert, so if your lathe needs an insert, add about $80, not cheap.

My lathe would need an insert. Good design, but not so good pricing.
Also interested in your opinion on the Bosch saw over on the other thread if you've got time.

As for this one, I think multiple chucks would be a much cheaper option and allow more flexibility. I've been told the nova scroll chuck is one of if not the best.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
7,222 Posts
As for this one, I think multiple chucks would be a much cheaper option and allow more flexibility. I've been told the nova scroll chuck is one of if not the best.

Dave The Turning Cowboy
My friend purchased the NOVA chucks. I have the OneWay Talon chucks.

Not a simple "best".

The NOVA chuck uses a dovetail on the jaws.

The Talon has serrated edges, which I like, but it does mark the piece.

The NOVA insert on my friends chuck came loose during turning. The single locking hex screw locks onto the side of the thread.

My Talon has three locking hex head screws which lock into the end of the chuck. After seeing my friends insert come loose, I like the Talon design better.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Dave Paine said:
My friend purchased the NOVA chucks. I have the OneWay Talon chucks.

Not a simple "best".

The Talon has serrated edges, which I like, but it does mark the piece.

The NOVA insert on my friends chuck came loose during turning. The single locking hex screw locks onto the side of the thread.

My Talon has three locking hex head screws which lock into the end of the chuck. After seeing my friends insert come loose, I like the Talon design better.
My chuck (with 4 sets of jaws) sounds similar to your Talon. I've had trouble holding work. Someone loaned me a set of dovetail jaws. They fitted my chuck. Aside from the fact I only went 1/8 deep recess in green timber, I did find the jaws held well. It started off a log sideways about 8" at its longest and 5" deep.

The work ended up around 3 x 3 in the end with a rupture in the side bit that is another story.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have the PSI chucks--both the one for midsize (CSC 300 I think) and the 4 which is for bigger stuff. I like the one key adjusting and changing the jaws is really easy.
Dave H

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just in case someone is cutting dovetails on their tenons with standard Nova jaws....
I have eight different sets of Nova jaws and only the 100mm Powergrips have dovetails on the interior (spigot/tenon). They do have dovetails on the exterior.

Normal rotation of the lathe is for the insert to tighten unless turning in reverse or the handwheel is used for a very sudden stop. I'm not sure what happened unless the setscrew was not tightened.

·
7,222 Posts
Normal rotation of the lathe is for the insert to tighten unless turning in reverse or the handwheel is used for a very sudden stop. I'm not sure what happened unless the setscrew was not tightened.
The lathe was rotating normally. My friend was turning a short spindle and started to get a lot of vibration. When we turned off the lathe we found the chuck had vibrated loose off the insert, despite the direction of rotation.

We went out and bought Loctite. Re-tightened the insert to the chuck and then added Loctite on the locking screw. This seems to have fixed the problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts