Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have information on chrome plating a table saw's cast iron table?

I live in wet Florida. My shop is my un air conditioned garage. And I travel for extended periods of time. I've tried the Boeing metal conditioners and paste wax but the table still gets surface rust.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keep it waxed and throw a packing blanket over it when not in use. I'm in the same situation as you (live in Florida and shop is an unconditioned garage AND an open pole barn).

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Chrome plating a piece of iron that large would be quite an undertaking. It could be done, but would probably be quite expensive.

If the paste wax is not preventing the rusting I think you are not getting complete coverage with enough wax. I use a product called LP2 lubricant to control rust. Best I have found. Get it in a marine store. Nearly impossible to completely stop all rust. On a saw table it is usually easy to clean.

I think putting a blanket, or any cover, over the table would just increase the rust problem.

George

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I lived in PA, my shop was in the basement that was damp in the summer.... I sprayed WD-40 on my TS and BS, Then wiped them down....
Never had a rust problem....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That would look pretty cool.....I don't know that it would be all that much, the square footage isn't that much more than a bumper. I'd check locally and see if there's any chrome shops....if your having a hard time finding one check with your local Harley dealership and see if they know anyplace that does custom chrome

·
The village amadán.
792 Posts
Go find a kitchen store and ask about a remnant slab of granite and see if they'll cut and drill it for you...

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Chrome plating a piece of iron that large would be quite an undertaking. It could be done, but would probably be quite expensive.

If the paste wax is not preventing the rusting I think you are not getting complete coverage with enough wax. I use a product called LP2 lubricant to control rust. Best I have found. Get it in a marine store. Nearly impossible to completely stop all rust. On a saw table it is usually easy to clean.

I think putting a blanket, or any cover, over the table would just increase the rust problem.

George
I agree, not to mention the chrome is dipped and will likely be uneven.

That would look pretty cool.....I don't know that it would be all that much, the square footage isn't that much more than a bumper. I'd check locally and see if there's any chrome shops....if your having a hard time finding one check with your local Harley dealership and see if they know anyplace that does custom chrome
Really, it cost $600 to chrome a bumper for a 55' chevy.

Go find a kitchen store and ask about a remnant slab of granite and see if they'll cut and drill it for you...
it would have to be a certain granite type. Most are to soft especially the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't think I would trust chrome plating (as in bumper)....maybe hardchrome (as in firearm process), but I am quite sure that would be really expensive.....I also live in Florida, and Johnson's Paste wax has worked well for me.....

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't think I would trust chrome plating (as in bumper)....maybe hardchrome (as in firearm process), but I am quite sure that would be really expensive.....I also live in Florida, and Johnson's Paste wax has worked well for me.....
IDK to me $350-$600 to prevent rust is incredibly expensive. I don't think its a good idea either but if you think hard chroming is really expensive compared to chroming as mentioned. That's just down right scarey expensive.:laughing:

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
plus, it is really hard to find a place that chromes things anymore. i tried to find a place to get the bumpers of my 67 fairlane chromed, and they had all been closed down by the EPA

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Does anyone have information on chrome plating a table saw's cast iron table?

I live in wet Florida. My shop is my un air conditioned garage. And I travel for extended periods of time. I've tried the Boeing metal conditioners and paste wax but the table still gets surface rust.
i also live in florida 10 air miles from the ocean, i have a 12x20 work shop and all my item's do not rust, i won't list all i have, but 4 bed's and no rust , i don't use wax i use T-9 on all , the rust come's from in side the iron , unless something is spilled on the bed, i have lived in fla for 35 yrs and no rust, i guess thing's are good for me or T-9 work's for me good luck

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
rrbrown said:
IDK but wouldn't you consider that expensive. he could probably get a dehumidifier for the space cheaper then chroming it.
It's all relative....if we're talking a 113 craftsman sure thats expensive.....if we're talking a 3 hp sawstop or a 5 hp powermatic, he may have spent more on the mobile base.

The rust issue others have sure makes me appreciate my granite top. I was considering making a router table and using a cast iron top....I think I may look into the precision with which the place I've got granite in the past from can mill it. I wonder if they can mill slots with enough precision to make a top that I'd be happy with.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
It's all relative....if we're talking a 113 craftsman sure thats expensive.....if we're talking a 3 hp sawstop or a 5 hp powermatic, he may have spent more on the mobile base.

The rust issue others have sure makes me appreciate my granite top. I was considering making a router table and using a cast iron top....I think I may look into the precision with which the place I've got granite in the past from can mill it. I wonder if they can mill slots with enough precision to make a top that I'd be happy with.
we'll agree to disagree on that then. I have the 3 hp SawStop and think its expensive. I also live in South Louisiana and my shop just recently climate controlled yet never had rust problems.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
We can agree that 300 to one person is a different level of expensive that to someone else can't we?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to cover it,instead of chrome think about powder coating.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts