Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for ideas for a simple project or two, for my two boys to make for Christmas gifts and to sell for hoilday money.
I was having them make porch swings but that is a little tooo involved for them. They are 14 and 15, and do have some WW experience so it isn't like they can only use a hammer and nail. I allow them to run everything excpet the big Oliver tablesaw.
I need something really simple, that could be made in just a few easy steps. Anyone have any Ideas?

Edit: I don't have a lathe yet so pens and lathe stuff is out for this year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A good little project that just may fit the bill for them is a big wooden key (in the range of about 16" tall), - - made out of (1 X ) with cup-hooks on it. Make it with a hole in the top just like a real key, - - then it can hang on the wall right next to the door and the whole family's keys can hang on it.

Very simple, - - very useful . . . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have seen the little red cedar jewelry boxes sell for some big bucks at Canton texas....it would be pretty simple to pattern and do. I like the cutting board idea also...my Grandfather made them for years and older women in our town still show me one every so often, always with a story.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have made the simple cedar boxes in the past for gifts here and there but it slipped my mind. I like that key idea well, and the cutting board too. Three items ought to keep them plenty busy. :hammer:

Great ideas guys. I like all three - thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't know how appropriate they are for young folks, but the wine bottle holders that defy gravity are simple. They can be jazzed up with edge and face inlays, different edge profiles...all kinds of things. They are great sellers at liquor stores around this time of year. They also get rid of a lot of scrap wood laying around. Wipe-on poly finish, etc, etc.
If they want a project they can make and you can sell, this may fit the bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts