Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making some presents for our kids, which are all grown. I thought it would be a good idea to use up some of the lumber that always seems to pile up. You know, short stuff.

Last year, I made cutting boards and the girls loved them. Even though a couple got put in the dishwasher. :-( Ugh!

This year I am making some cookbook stands, that work great for iPads and other tablets, ereaders, etc. I made sure the opening in the support shelf is big enough for the charger connection to fit through. Testing so far has shown I got a perfect fit (actually it is just a notch). We have an iPad, an iPad mini and a Samsung tablet. All work even with their protectice covers on. I have a couple more to assemble, then stain those made out of the white pine, poplar, red oak and maple. The walnut stands aren't getting a stain, just clear Deft to show off that beautimus wood color. I made one for my wife but it won't get stained. It is maple. When we redo our kitchen, I will stain hers to match the kitchen cabinets. She has already taken posession of it. :)

This has been fun. I think I have used every power tool in the shop. I had to get creative to machine the shelf with the front lip. I like the way it turned out. And I designed the rear support by cutting reliefs to give it some character. All angles are perfect.

Since I have to spray the finish outside, the weather has got me behind in this year's production. I may have to break out Santa's Magic Dust! :)

Note: The white pine model is mine to use in the shop! I already have it in action holding my 7 inch Samsung Tab. It is hooked up to an amplifier and plays my favorite mp3's, Pandora or iHeart Radio...whatever I feel like listening to.

Here are a few pics of my current endeavor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice gifts!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our granddaughter stayed with us for a couple of days. Today she spent a little time in the shop with me. Her sanding and gluing skills came in handy when I was putting her momma's present together. Making memories! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice idea MT, but I think the shots of the grand daughter in the shop take the cake, I love it. When my 5 year old grand boy comes to the shop with me it is a constant adventure of finding my tools after he leaves.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Cute Granddaughter- I have a 4 yr old GD and she love coming to shop. She likes to clean up cause grandpa is so messy!!! They bring Joy to our days!!!!!!!

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Great pictures. That's one cute little helper you have there. She actually looks a lot like one of my granddaughters. Only mine doesn't help grandpa in the shop (not yet, at least).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts