Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was wondering what everyone was making for christmas? I am making an old monster truck for my 11 month old nephew. I'll post some pics once I get a chance to take some.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Can't wait to see the pics, my son loves anything that's big and has wheels! He even loves our big plastic garbage can as I roll it up the driveway. They're easy to please at 14 months.

I was thinking about turning some pens for gifts, but then realized I'd have to buy a mini-lathe and give myself a crash course in using it. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here are some pictures of the truck as it sits right now. Tomorrow I'll add the bumpers, axles, transfer case and driveshafts. Ill get some more pics once I have the rest of the truck done. But does anyone have an idea of how I should finish it? Like I said its for my nephew of 11 months, so the finish needs to be safe for him to put in his mouth. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only finishing options that are "Child-safe" I know of are salad bowl finish and tung oil (without the chemical additives - 100% pure).

Btw... the truck is fantastic! Now I'm thinking about birthday gifts for the godson that don't involve me going to a store (atleast, not a toy store :) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Btw... the truck is fantastic! Now I'm thinking about birthday gifts for the godson that don't involve me going to a store (atleast, not a toy store :) )
So the nearest exotic woods store then?

·
Registered
36 Posts
So the nearest exotic woods store then?
Well I am living near lots of parks and trees now... so thankfully, there are a few places with wood (besides your Home Depot/Lowes), without going 40 miles :D

Actually, theres a yard about 2 minutes away, but I haven't gotten there yet...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
each wheel is made from two pieces of black walnut. I drilled them out and then sanded them to the right dimensions, then I made a jig to use on the table saw to cut each tread. After that each tread was filed down on the edges, then the two halves were glued together. After the glue was dried, the outside edges of all the wheels were sanded to a bevel. Voila!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks awesome osweeza! How much does that sucker weigh? It's hard to tell the size of it since there's no reference close by.

My son would love that thing but he's too young to understand that "that" one cannot be thrown down the hall! He'd try though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts