Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas gifts this year, I made some cookbook holders which can be easily used to hold an iPad, eReader or what ever. We have four grown daughters so each is getting one made from Walnut. I made several more – sold a couple and one is gong to my niece, who has an eReader and reads a lot (10 yr old).

My goal was to use up some of the wood I had that was left over from previous projects. So, I rounded up some walnut, maple, red oak and poplar. Some were finished with Minwax Chestnut stain. The walnut pieces were not stained. All received several coats of Deft in Satin Finish.

I also made one for my wife and she claimed it early! It is unfinished for now. When we remodel our kitchen this coming year, I will stain hers to match the cabinets. She uses it to hold her iPad mini to display internet recipes when she is cooking.

My stand is in the shop and has a 7 inch Samsung Tab on it. I never run out of music whether it be thousands of mp3's, iHeart Radio or Pandora via wi-fi.

Overall, this was a fun challenge. I used almost all of my power tools at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our grand daughter came to stay with us for a few days and I got her to help out in the shop. Her sanding and gluing skills came in handy while we were building her momma's cookbook holder. I printed out the pictures and included them in the package with her stand.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice! I am going to be making my family and extended family some gifts; but they won't get them for Christmas.
Was a little busy with work this season and did not do a single woodworking project.
So, even though I bought gifts for everyone, I am still going to give them a piece of paper and an envelope. With that they can write in a project of their choice and I will select them at random throughout the next few months.
At last that will force me to get into the shop...and posting more often here.

Merry Christmas all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts