Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Beautiful work! I love the soft curves. Did you reinforce the end grain to end grain joint with anything other than glue? I have been worried about making one like this because of the weak end grain joints.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice boards! Cool patterns too. :thumbsup:

Beautiful work! I love the soft curves. Did you reinforce the end grain to end grain joint with anything other than glue? I have been worried about making one like this because of the weak end grain joints.
I'm curious about this too.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. Good question! and yes I did put a spline in. I used a 1/4" three wing cutter that cuts to a depth of 1/2"
I used some leftover oak and made sure to run the grain in the short direction. Actually it was a good help during the second glue up as it kept things aligned well and I didn't have much or any shifting during the clamp up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Crusader said:
So like any good woodworking elf I have been busy. We, meaning my wife really liked the face grain design so I stuck with it. I hope you all enjoy my work as much as I enjoyed making them.
Well, I'm in the same boat. The boards that you have there look great.

Eric

·
Registered
376 Posts
These are really nice looking cutting boards. I don't know how to post links, but if you go to YouTube and search for tumbling 3D cutting board, this is a really cool looking cutting board!!!!

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! I thought this post was long gone and buried. Anyway, once again thank you for your kind words.

207woodworks: I rip'em starting at 1 7/8" and then work down in
1/4" increments. Sometimes a little less, it all depends on the wood I have. They finish out to around 12 1/4x 17 3/4.

durty-curty: I have seen those boards and they are nice!

This Christmas I have made 5 end grain boards and 11 face grain. and I have to say I'm done with cutting boards! :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.