Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sawdust has been flying in my shop the past couple of weeks, and I have currently have about 8 projects going at once! You'll notice that I stole most of these ideas from other members, so a big thank you to them!

What is everyone else out there making for gifts this year?

This is my first picture frame. I have another waiting on splines, and two more waiting on assembly. I used THIS thread as my guide.
picture frame.jpg

This is one of three I am making this year. These are quick and easy (if you don't scroll the initial up top). I have a few others that I made from offcuts as backups in case I forgot about someone. 44 degree angle on the bottom and an 1 3/8" hole about 6 1/2" up from the bottom. I don't remember where I got the dimensions from, but there have been several posted on here lately.
wine bottle holder.jpg

If you have a bandsaw, I suggest knocking out a few of these. They are kind of fun, and everyone is getting a kick out of them so far. I got this idea HERE and after a little bit of searching, I found a template on woodgears.ca
reindeer.jpg

Thankfully, I am only making one end grain cutting board this year. I just gathered up all of my scraps and threw them together to make this one. I wasn't a huge fan of the pattern at first, but it is growing on me. I have always used THIS thread as my guide for these.
cutting board.jpg

And last but certainly not least, a total of 32 end grain coasters. These have turned out to be a lot more work than I originally anticipated. You can see the other stack of 18 waiting to get sprayed. I got the idea HERE from Steve.
coasters.jpg

I shouldn't have any problems finishing everything before Christmas... famous last words right?

Hopefully this will give everyone some ideas/motivation to build some more gifts this year. Let's see what y'all have been up to.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Kind of makes you feel like Santa and the elves. Nice work on everything you did there.

Reactions: captainawesome

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I've got a coffee table I need to finish by Christmas. I started it this weekend. My current issue is the two flat panels that need flattening I usually get sanded 4 hours from here......anyone know a place in north east Wisconsin with a wide belt sander that isn't an arm and leg??

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of makes you feel like Santa and the elves. Nice work on everything you did there.
Thanks. I guess I do feel like Santa, now if only I could find the elves to do all the work...

I've got a coffee table I need to finish by Christmas. I started it this weekend. My current issue is the two flat panels that need flattening I usually get sanded 4 hours from here......anyone know a place in north east Wisconsin with a wide belt sander that isn't an arm and leg??
How far out are the panels and what thickness are you working with? You'd be surprised how well the router planer jig method works. All of the tool marks sand off really fast also.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It seems to be bird feeder year for me. Finishing up one I made using wood from HD cut off bin and the next will be from some pallets I snatched from work.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems to be bird feeder year for me. Finishing up one I made using wood from HD cut off bin and the next will be from some pallets I snatched from work.
All of the reindeer I cut out was from a pallet I grabbed from work too. Although I need to pick up a metal detector because my current one is my chop saw blade...

·
Registered
53 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
Ryan. I see a place in Green Bay advertising planing and sanding on craigslist. I was searching for planers when I saw the ads. Otherwise kettle moraine hardwoods does it but it may be a bit of a drive for you.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
22 boxes- narrowing in on the goal!!!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
captainawesome said:
. How far out are the panels and what thickness are you working with? You'd be surprised how well the router planer jig method works. All of the tool marks sand off really fast also.
Ya....but then I'd have to build a sled and buy a bit....I'd rather just drive somewhere. Lol.

It's a 26 inch wide 4/4 top that needs to get smoothed from glue up.

·
Registered
899 Posts
captainawesome said:
The sawdust has been flying in my shop the past couple of weeks, and I have currently have about 8 projects going at once! You'll notice that I stole most of these ideas from other members, so a big thank you to them! What is everyone else out there making for gifts this year? This is my first picture frame. I have another waiting on splines, and two more waiting on assembly. I used THIS thread as my guide. This is one of three I am making this year. These are quick and easy (if you don't scroll the initial up top). I have a few others that I made from offcuts as backups in case I forgot about someone. 44 degree angle on the bottom and an 1 3/8" hole about 6 1/2" up from the bottom. I don't remember where I got the dimensions from, but there have been several posted on here lately. If you have a bandsaw, I suggest knocking out a few of these. They are kind of fun, and everyone is getting a kick out of them so far. I got this idea HERE and after a little bit of searching, I found a template on woodgears.ca Thankfully, I am only making one end grain cutting board this year. I just gathered up all of my scraps and threw them together to make this one. I wasn't a huge fan of the pattern at first, but it is growing on me. I have always used THIS thread as my guide for these. And last but certainly not least, a total of 32 end grain coasters. These have turned out to be a lot more work than I originally anticipated. You can see the other stack of 18 waiting to get sprayed. I got the idea HERE from Steve. I shouldn't have any problems finishing everything before Christmas... famous last words right? Hopefully this will give everyone some ideas/motivation to build some more gifts this year. Let's see what y'all have been up to.
I have. 3 almost done. Toy box,bread box and small cabinet. I have 4 jewelry/ keepsake boxes to do. Coffee table, trash can cover. Then the non Christmas stuff. Oh yea. Something called a croxeti . Probably misspelled. It is a pizza dough press

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Geez. I'm not making anything, at least not out of wood ... :(

We bake a bunch of stuff and make fudge though ...

I think I could probably handle one of those wine bottle holders, and I think it would be just the sort of thing one of our friends would like.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
22 boxes- narrowing in on the goal!!!
I've seen some of your boxes Mike, and they are absolutely gorgeous! Those are some lucky recipients, and I am green with envy. I'm sure you have the entire process down to a science at this point. I would love to see a tutorial on how you make your boxes. I wanted to make some of those this year, but I was a little timid to try something I had no experience with.

Geez. I'm not making anything, at least not out of wood ... :(

I think I could probably handle one of those wine bottle holders, and I think it would be just the sort of thing one of our friends would like.
See, that is exactly why I started this thread. I hoped someone would get an idea after seeing what others are doing!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've seen some of your boxes Mike, and they are absolutely gorgeous! Those are some lucky recipients, and I am green with envy. I'm sure you have the entire process down to a science at this point. I would love to see a tutorial on how you make your boxes. I wanted to make some of those this year, but I was a little timid to try something I had no experience with.

See, that is exactly why I started this thread. I hoped someone would get an idea after seeing what others are doing!

Here it is- any questions- go ahead and ask- one step at a time they are not that hard. http://www.woodbarter.com/threads/build-da-box.2601/

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Lets see:
- 27 pens, 4 to go
- 28 wooden ornaments, ? more to go
- 1- 3' entryway bench
- 3 shadowboxes
- 7 toy tops
Those are the Christmas presents. In addition:
- 1 corner cabinet
- 3 military display boxes
- 2 crochet needle handles
- 1 candle holder
Think that's it....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Aside from the easel I'm making as part of the WWFC charity, I am planning a wine glass holder that isn't real complicated (mostly some scroll work and drilling), a clock that never got finished last year, and a few pens. Not going too fancy this year.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Lets see:
- 27 pens, 4 to go
- 28 wooden ornaments, ? more to go
- 1- 3' entryway bench
- 3 shadowboxes
- 7 toy tops
Those are the Christmas presents. In addition:
- 1 corner cabinet
- 3 military display boxes
- 2 crochet needle handles
- 1 candle holder
Think that's it....
Ummm.... christmas 2015?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Well, Chris...I think you (or your sweetie) needs a few cookbook holders/stands. Our family is mostly female so this year I am going to make a few of those stands. I have one my dad made for my wife about 15 years ago. I think I will use his as a pattern but change it a little by making sure there is a relief for a power cord so an ipad or smartphone or any other tablet/ ereader, etc. can stand there and display your favorite recipe while the cooking is in progress. :) And it can charge in the mean time.

I have a few pieces of walnut so...
I start tomorrow. ;)
Mike

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here it is- any questions- go ahead and ask- one step at a time they are not that hard. http://www.woodbarter.com/threads/build-da-box.2601/
Thanks Mike!

I finally got around to making some more cutting board coating (mineral oil and paraffin wax) and got the first coat on the board last night. I wish I had taken a little more time to spread out all of my off cut pieces during the glue up, but I think it came out alright.
cutting board finish.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts