Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Christiansen Co workbench that I picked up at an auction a few months ago for $25. It was originally in a factory in Chicago and I bought it from the son of the man who worked the bench for over 40 years. It's not in terribly good shape: the front decal plate is bent, handles are beaten, undersides of maple top are chipped in some places, only has one vice [I don't even think it's the original vice], bottom of drawer is warped severely, and it's missing a bolt on one of the legs. The workbench is still extremely usable as a....well a workbench and i'm considering holding onto it but what can I do to return it to its' former glory?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Use the KISS method on this piece of history I agree with cabinetman here :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: cabinetman

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
That's a nice bench. I believe all I would do is reglue it or what ever it took to make it stable and leave everything else alone.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
would you leave a vintage car in its old rusty condition, or restore it to its original glory? why is it bad to restore a vintage workbench to its original glory?

if it was mine, I would take the hardware off and clean it as best I could, and strip the paint off and repaint it the original color, if it was originally painted.

I don't see that as blasphemy, I see it as giving it some well-deserved love.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts