Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi V8 all I have the opportunity to buy a new dewalt 735 planer or a DC33 for the same price.
I have 220v and portability isn’t an issue for me.

whichmachine would you all recommend?

I hear people loving the dewalt but can’t wrap my head around the thought it actually might be a better Maine than the big heavy trusty delta.

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
Buy rgw DC33. No comparison unless the 33 is broke..
20200410_121712.jpg.2e564dca0b844452ce301ae70adbbfef.jpg

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had the DW735 for a year and like it. Looking at the DC33 online it is certainly an impressive machine.

I have 220v and portability isn’t an issue for me.
Another thing to consider, how are your mechanical skills? Even if the DC33 is generally reliable it is older/used/out of production, it might need a bearing changed, motor work etc.

·
Smart and Cool
2,326 Posts
What is your use case?

Surfacing rough lumber on a regular basis? DC33

Occasional small dimensioning? DW735

I've owned both machines, the DC33 is a beast, you can take some decent cuts and surface a lot of rough lumber with it. It is large, and takes up a fair amount of space, and requires 240v.

The DW735 for cutting boards, cheese boards, and some dimensioning is great, it sits on a shelf until I need it so the space consumption is great, and it runs off of any 120V outlet in my shop.

Regardless of which machine you get, a Shelix style head is a very worthwhile upgrade, seems like it is expensive up front, it is far superior to a traditional straight knife cutter head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my impression as well. Thanks guys.

my mech skills are excellent as a hobbyist. I’ve rebuilt a handful of old Drill presses, lathes, etc and regularly rebuild small gas engines. No electrical motors though. Not concerned about working on the machine or sourcing a bearing. Just wanted to confirm my suspicions that the delta was a quality unit that was just as good at fine-smaller work as the dewalt since I’ve never owned either.

The 33 comes with the stand and feed tables as well as new knives already installed. No missing parts. No extra parts.

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
I don't have a shelix on me DC-33 and it works fine. I never run rough lumber through mine. You can seriously damage a good planer if you don't know what your doing..

If it's a good running 33, there is no way I would even look at a Dewalt

I bought mine for about $200, almost 20 years ago. Change the Earl and cutters and still runs as good as I got it..
planer4.JPG.9c04619db25117ec90948bbf9af99828.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a shelix on me DC-33 and it works fine. I never run rough lumber through mine. You can seriously damage a good planer if you don't know what your doing..

If it's a good running 33, there is no way I would even look at a Dewalt

I bought mine for about $200, almost 20 years ago. Change the Earl and cutters and still runs as good as I got it..
View attachment 428300
Wow, I wish I could find a deal like that now. I was pretty happy with the 450$ price I agreed to with the guy selling it.

seems there are no proponents of the dewalt except for light use which will probably only happen when I rebuild some old windows or little projects around the house.

I’m set on the delta... thanks everyone!

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
I got a deal. I looked on the intenet there going $600. It took 2 of us to load the 33

Do you have pictures of it condition?

Two things you'll want and need. #1 the manual which I have and the planer blade adjustment guage. Should be with the machine..
20210610_094212.jpg
20210610_094202.jpg

·
Smart and Cool
2,326 Posts
Wow, I wish I could find a deal like that now. I was pretty happy with the 450$ price I agreed to with the guy selling it.

seems there are no proponents of the dewalt except for light use which will probably only happen when I rebuild some old windows or little projects around the house.

I’m set on the delta... thanks everyone!
That's a great price, I think I paid $400 for the one I had.

The only time you will be unhappy with it, is when you want to run something over 13", that tends to be pretty rare for me.

I still recommend you look at a Shelix head, less noise, better cut, no blade setting jigs to mess with, and if you chip a "knife"(insert), it takes just a few minutes to rotate an insert.

I was against the heads for years, then I bought one, I wont own a planer without one in it now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got the RC-33 and it works great, pretty quiet too. Only downside is it missing the blade depth jig and the dust shroud (to connect to central Vac.
Anyone have any idea where to find one for this machine?
I looks online allover for a bit before asking, and can’t seem to find either

1 - 12 of 12 Posts