Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new here and have been doing some searches on choosing a new table saw. My use will be somewhat unique so the searches really did not help me much. I currently have a Ryobi BT 3000 that I have had for about 13 years I have not used it a lot. I do more metal working than wood work. My metal working hobby launched my new venture a side business that I do using my home shop tools.

I am beginning to build some products from UHMW & HDPE plastic material. Wood working equipment is the best way to shape and form this material for the most part. I cut sheets of plastic from .5” up to 1.5” thick.

I recently purchased an SSC panel saw for dimensioning up the 4x8’ sheets to workable sizes (I work alone). I am wanting to buy a new table saw with good HP probably 3HP 220V motor. I am looking for some suggestions on models I should consider. I have looked at Grizzly and Sears but I am not sure how they compare and if there are others I should be looking at. I plan to spend between $1000-$2000 on the new saw. I also want the saw for some wood work also.

I plan on buying some new blades for both of these saws designed for plastic.

I would like to hand down my Ryobi table saw to my son I feel I will ruin it doing what I have planned. I have done a little plastic cutting with this saw and it has done fine but I don’t feel it would hold up in the long run.

On a side note I recently purchased a 2 ¼ HP Bosch plunge router that I just love. I have been using it on the HDPE and it just really works good and is fairly quite compared to my old Sears and very noisy Porter Cable routers.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Most 3hp of the popular cabinet saws on the market fall into your price range....Jet, Delta, Shop Fox, Steel City, GI, Grizzly...PM and General are a bit beyond budget but are awefully nice saws. In many ways the saws are more similar than different, so I'd handle as many as possible, compare features, price, warranty, dealer support, etc., and pick which one you like best.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would look seriously at the jet and Steel City. I have herd nothing but good things on these to brands. I would also make sure you have 4 blades, 2 for woodworking and 2 for your other work that way you always have one on the shelf ready to use when the other gets dull. I don't know how many times I end up with a dull blade and have to wait to get it sharpened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grizzly shop fox fence?

I am looking at the Grizzly G1023SLX saw and they come with a Shop Fox fence are these fences any good or do you need to upgrade to a Biesemeyer fence? I am going to call them tomorrow I like that model but I like the router feature of the G1023SLWX.

I have the wide table on my Ryobi with a router in the table and I realy like it and use it a lot.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts