Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Matt Clara
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of a follow up to my previous question. I understand that whatever saw I buy, I'll want to replace the blade with something nicer. I'm thinking I'll need two blades, one for resawing 5 - 6 inch mahogany, walnut, cherry, and similar woods down to 1/8 inch. The other will be for roughing out the guitar top and neck. I don't want the resaw blade to leave a rough finish, though I will be doing some finish work on those pieces, so it certainly doesn't have to be glass smooth. For the other blade, I need to be able to use it almost like a scroll saw.
Thanks,
Matt

·
where's my table saw?
29,170 Posts
Here's some more free advice!

I use a 3/4" 3 tooth per inch Timberwolf blade for resawing.
A wider blade has more "beam" strength and needs more tension than a more narrow blade, so the frame of the saw must be stout.
A 1/2" blade will work you just have to feed a little slower so the blade doesn't stack up and create a curve in the vertical edge of the workpiece. A 6 tooth per in blade is a general purpose blade and will do most everything else you may want to do. More teeth obviously will make a cleaner cut, but the efficiency goes down as the chips build up in gullets of the smaller teeth and have no where to go. The advantage to staying with the same width blade is that you don't have to reset the guides every time you change from resawing to general purpose. My 3HP 19" Grizzly has a 3/4" 3 TPI blade for resawing only, the Craftsman 12" a 1/2" 6 TPI for general stuff and a the little hobby Craftsman 10" has a 1/4" 6TPI.
Now Matt I know you got a suggestion to go for the smaller saw, my advice...size matters and for the money stick with our plan, Bud.
You get a lot of features for the difference. If you click on the link you can "page forward and page back" in the catalogue when it opens. You can then compare the specs for both saws and even other if you want to. Good Luck :thumbsup: bill

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Matt,
I have bought Timber Wolf BS blades at Klingspor's woodworking shop. They are distributed by a local company Combest Enterprises. It is a small 2 man company and I believe they buy the blade material from Timber Wolf and weld the blades. When I purchased mine it was at a wood working show sponsored by Klingspor. The guy was demonstrating how to adjust the saw blade and very helpful in what blade for each application. Their phone number (Combest Enterprises)is 704 263-4049.
Tom

·
where's my table saw?
29,170 Posts
Grizzly contact info:

I've written them twice in the last two weeks. No response. At least they have an email address, better than Grizzly. What year is this again?
Grizzly sells Timberwolf, I get them there/here!

For Customer Service and Technical Support:

Customer Service:1-800-523-4777Technical Support:1-570-546-9663Fax:1-800-438-5901Email:Customer Service: [email protected]
Technical Service: [email protected]Foreign Orders:​

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Matt

Woodnthings advice is good. However, whatever blades you choose to purchase don't forget to buy spares. Sooner or later you'll be motoring along and a blade will break. It is truly a PITA to be in the swing, creative juices flowing, and have to stop for a broken blade that you have to go out and buy a replacement for , or order. One other bit of advice. The resaw blades, being generally wider, thicker, and stronger will stand quite a bit of tension. The narrower blades you will want to use for delicate curving work will require a lower tension.

Gerry

·
where's my table saw?
29,170 Posts
Gerry, Good advice on getting spares and....

It will make the shipping cost more reasonable, since they don't weigh much! I buy 3 at a time myself. I also weld my own from bulk stock and have done so for about 25 years. I bought my last saw a 19" Grizzly that had the same length blade as my other 18" Min Max 143", so I could use the same length blades on either saw. I have a total of 4 wood cutting bandsaws and 2 metal cutting, so I can make blades up in different lengths from the same roll. You are absolutely right about when they go bust! Usually the pressure is on and the fun has just started, then that's when it happens. :laughing: bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
late reply, but we are the new new guys to this site. call and i'll weld you up a free sample. 800 475 9991, we specialize in bandsaws and parts, guides tires blades etc. ask for Bobby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts