Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys....

So I have a nice stanley #5......very sharp iron.......but chips keep packing inbetween the iron and the chip breaker.....Its been flattened on the back.....the iron is flat......but it still keeps doing it.

So i'm thinking I need a new chip breaker.......any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Any chip breaker needs to fit the iron. Attach the breaker and hold the joint up to the light to see that you have a perfect fit. Back up the chip breaker from the edge of the iron about 1/8". You will get chips stuffed in there from time to time, it's normal but you'll get more if you follow the current guru advice of having the chip breaker close to the edge.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is there any way to repair a chip breaker that has been ground back? I picked up a Stanley no. 2 that looked pristine, but the blade was ground way off square and the chip breaker was ground back quite heavily. I think when I got it the blade was installed upside down as well. Due to the chip breaker being shortened too much I can't get it near the edge of the blade and still have enough depth adjustment to get any blade to protrude. It also has a fairly large gap where it should meet the blade - it closes up somewhat with the lever cap on but still not how it should be. I was thinking about getting the veritas cap iron and blade but would like to save the original if possible.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Ouch, the previous owner really messed up the plane. :thumbdown:

I have purchased several planes where the blade was backwards. The most recent plane of a couple of weeks ago was like this. The blade was sharpened to a very low angle to try and get it to work.

Timetestedtools has linked to his blog in earlier reply showing how he tries to put more of a bend/curve on the chip breaker. I have not been successful, but likely just not spending enough time.

A plan "B" to use vintage parts is to take a No. 3 or 4 chip breaker and grind 1/16in off each side. Should not take long and may be easier than trying to fix the original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts