Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love repurposing materials. I need a chicken tractor and had some cedar from an old fence that I tool down. Found some other materials around the shop plus a couple 2 x 4"s and created this.

·
SawDust Maker
133 Posts
I love repurposing materials. I need a chicken tractor and had some cedar from an old fence that I tool down. Found some other materials around the shop plus a couple 2 x 4"s and created this.

to me

Nice job. Really enjoy seeing what you did with the old Fence wood. I'm all about finding a new life for reclaimed wood. Drop me a line if you'd like to post this on my blog.
http://reclaimedwoodblog.com/
Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The purpose of a chicken tractor is to move it as they eat the grass/bugs in the enclosed area. I have a pair of casters that fit under it and I can drag this all over my property.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
+1. Junk wood rules! Can you keep the wheels on it all the time?
How many birds per tractor? Or does that depend on feed availability?
Look like happy birds.
Bylaw says I can't keep chickens in the village. I need at least 3 of those.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1. Junk wood rules! Can you keep the wheels on it all the time?
How many birds per tractor? Or does that depend on feed availability?
Look like happy birds.
Bylaw says I can't keep chickens in the village. I need at least 3 of those.

I have it so the wheels lift it off the ground a bit, they go on and off easy.

Right now I have a few bantams in it. With being able to move it and some table scraps they eat very little feed.I raised four pullets to full growth in it last summer without a problem.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That reminds me of an old farmers' joke: How do you start a chicken farm? Just get a cock and pullet and the rest will come. :laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.