Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I Just picked up some American chestnut. Never thought I would. I just happened to catch it on cl. $6 sq foot
I took apart an old upright piano last yr. and the sides and top were 1 in. veneered chestnut, it looks like a medium brown oak. Chestnut is extinct in U.S. since about 1900 They are replanting with a Chinese crossbreed. You must have gotten some reclaimed wood.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got about 1000 bf from a partner in my firm that wanted his barn cleaned out. Sadly he died a couple weeks later when I was only about 1/4 the way done with the job. I miss him more than the wood so please dont take that the wrong way. I talked to his wife recently and she would like me to still finish the job. I know I got all the chestnut out but there is still thousands of bf of all sorts of types of wood. I tried selling it at first cause I am not very good with wood working yet but no one seemed interested. So I am holding on to it for the long haul. I just commished a member on here to turn me some pens for Christmas gifts for some of the bosses in the office. He did a great job and it will be a nice little gift for them all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have 900+bd ft of 110+ yr old beams that were leftover from when my house was built in 1902. still straight as when they were cut. the whole house is framed in chestnut, all the woodwork mouldings, and 50 doors and windows are chestnut. just bragging :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got about 1000 bf from a partner in my firm that wanted his barn cleaned out. Sadly he died a couple weeks later when I was only about 1/4 the way done with the job. I miss him more than the wood so please dont take that the wrong way. I talked to his wife recently and she would like me to still finish the job. I know I got all the chestnut out but there is still thousands of bf of all sorts of types of wood. I tried selling it at first cause I am not very good with wood working yet but no one seemed interested. So I am holding on to it for the long haul. I just commished a member on here to turn me some pens for Christmas gifts for some of the bosses in the office. He did a great job and it will be a nice little gift for them all.

Sorry about that. That does suck. You need to build some stuff to honor his gift to you.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have 900+bd ft of 110+ yr old beams that were leftover from when my house was built in 1902. still straight as when they were cut. the whole house is framed in chestnut, all the woodwork mouldings, and 50 doors and windows are chestnut. just bragging :)
You suck! LOL! Do you have some pics of your moulding and doors? I would love to see them. Where are you located?

·
Registered
90 Posts
You suck! LOL! Do you have some pics of your moulding and doors? I would love to see them. Where are you located?
kitchen cabinets and corian tops built by me from spare doors left over from when house was built

refinished the foyer due to darkening and alligatoring after 100 years of sunlight

butlers pantry and builtins are original finish

lumber is stored away securely, most pieces are 20' long

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts