Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a few tables on this site. It is not perfect, but I am really happy with this. It doesn't have a lot of extra details like splines and dovetails, but it is straight, flat, square, level plumb..etc. Or mostly. Two types of Mahogany, curly maple, and Bubinga accent. Thanks for the help folks.

Attachments

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
If you've made a game table post a pic. I'd like to see it. I plan on a few more as gifts.

I will fix that drawer so it sits in there straight.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Very nice...have had one of these on my to do list for quite a while. Maybe after I retire.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,569 Posts
That's an awesome looking table. You've done an incredible job on it. Are you going to put a finish on it? If so, be sure to post the pictures when the finish is on because the finish can make a world of difference to a project. Fantastic work.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you've made a game table post a pic. I'd like to see it. I plan on a few more as gifts.

I will fix that drawer so it sits in there straight.
A very nice little table indeed!

You asked so here is something similar I built a couple of years ago. It had a double sided push-through drawer. A fun and quick project.

Games Furniture Table Indoor games and sports Chessboard

Table Furniture Wood woodworking Workbench

Bret

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all.

Nice table Bret, I love all the details. Splines, dovetails, legs.

Kenbo, it has two coats of poly. Ill put a few more on, it really soaked up the first two.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,569 Posts
I guess I'm so used to seeing everyone make things shiny, that it never occurred to me that your project wouldn't have a sheen. I love it. All you need is the protection for the wood, the sheen is an option. Nice choice of finish. It really is a nice table.

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One problem I had with the top is that the maple is so much harder than the mahogany. When I was sanding, more wood was removed from the mahogany. So the top has a bit of a wavy-ness to it.

Is there a way around this, or do you just use similarly hard/soft woods next to each other?

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rigid sanding block 3x the size of the squares? Haven't tried it but geometry makes sense to me.
Yea that does make sense. I'm not sure someone could keep equal pressure on front, back, right and left sides at once, but with patience, I guess so. I may try that next time, but maybe 5 or 6x the size.

I hit it with a belt sander to try to level it at first, then a orbital sander. It is not really that wavy, it is just not as flat as I would have liked.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Very nice!!!!

I hope you venture out and make the Chess pieces as well. They are fun and easy to turn.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wonderful Chess Tables. I have a friend I met in 1967 who has been a steadfast pal all these years. I had been thinking of making him a Chess Table for the 50th anniversary of our meeting. I really like Bret's design and, Bret, would you mind if I copied it?

Also, can you recommend two compatible hardwoods for the light and dark squares? I'm thinking maple and walnut maybe.

WillemJM: I have a nice lathe, but I'm really a turning neophyte. Do you have any specific recommendations for turning the pieces? I imagine some parts, like the knight, would have to be carved. Any videos you might know of?

Thanks,

Kevin H.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts