Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please help me. I am having problems with the wood chipping out when I run it across my jointer. Does cherry always do that? And what can I do to fix it? Thank you for any help.
Jim

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Hello coyote. I have very limited experience with jointers compared to others here since i do not use them, and we don't have much Cherry here in Texas either so I can't offer any advice, but I wanted to say howdy and welcome!

Someone will be along to help you soon. Hope you hang around a while and check back for answers. Be sure to select "Instant e-mail notification" so you don't forget like I do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is the problem- the jointer flattens a face, you plane the board to thickness,, then the board cups/twists ?
- then, could be a few things:
-wood has high mc.
-Stress in the board (improper drying, or juvenile tree lumber)
-Unevenly removing wood from 1 face of a board. (seldom happens but it is possible on some cuts/slices of tree)
-double check that your initial machining flattened the face (jointer not set up right)

or you are trying to flatten the face of a board with your jointer and not getting good results.
my guess is the top problem.
jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
chip out

jim
could be yur running the timber over the cutters against the grain
make sure you run the timber WITH the grain
direction of timber < \\\\\\\\\\ (direction of grain)
cheers
Jedo

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
This is normal for Cherry. Jedo has the right advice, go with the grain. Also go slower with your passes. If you use Cherry exclusively or just a lot, you could have your knives ground with less of a point, maybe at 40-45º instead of the normal 35º. This will help with the chipout, but increase the drag over the knives. It will work with a lot of the chip prone hardwoods.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
As well as keeping in mind the direction of the grain, try reducing the depth of cut . Usually, the finer the cut, the less prone the material is to chipping out.

Gerry

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cherry, Maple, figured woods all seem to have the same issues. All of the advise you have been given is good advice. I find that it is easier for me to use the jointer to assure a straight edge then I skim saw using a good glue-line rip saw blade on my table saw. I make sure I use a good fluid motion so as not to pause on the pass through and I glue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts