Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased some 1/2 cherry boards. Not ever having to purchase any hardwood before (I've always used either pine or poplar from homey depot), I am curious to see if what I purchased was expensive or about a nominal price...

I purchased 7 board feet of 4/4 cherry surfaced 1/2". It was on sale for $3.72 a bf. the sale was 40% off! which should make it about $5.20 a db ft.

Do you think this a fair price, or was the place I went to on the expensive side.

Also, how the heck do you figure out a board foot....for dummies like me...?

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas to youse guyz!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just purchased some 1/2 cherry boards. Not ever having to purchase any hardwood before (I've always used either pine or poplar from homey depot), I am curious to see if what I purchased was expensive or about a nominal price...

I purchased 7 board feet of 4/4 cherry surfaced 1/2". It was on sale for $3.72 a bf. the sale was 40% off! which should make it about $5.20 a db ft.

Do you think this a fair price, or was the place I went to on the expensive side.

Also, how the heck do you figure out a board foot....for dummies like me...?

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas to youse guyz!
did you surface it your self?? if so you just thro away 1/2 of the wood, that is why i buy ruff sawn wood , and plane it down, if it was my 4/4 i would have sawn it down to just about 1/2 and than i would had a good 3/8" left over to use , just saying my self i wouldn't buy from the box store, i have a complete shop with all the tool's need to do the planning and joinging , i guess you have to start some where, if you are going to stay in wood working get some tool's when you can, it will save lot's of money good luck i just read this from your post It was on sale for $3.72 a bf. the sale was 40% off! which should make it about $5.20 a db ft. like it was said in another post a bf is a board 12x12x1" that is a board feet, so what you got was like 3' 1/2 bf because it was 1/2" thick so if it was 1"thick it whould be $7.44 a bf than , depends where you are located make's the price , if it is what you need and need it fast , you have no choice ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You should be able to get 3/4 thickness S4S of 4x4. 1/2 looks a bit small for me. I buy cherry (4x4 S2S) in local macbeath for 6.26 per bf. So far I wasn't be able to find any other place who sale cheaper good quality hardwood in SF Bay area.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cherry I purchased is most likely going to be a small box of some sort, haven't really decided yet. I did not surface it myself, it came that way. I was just curious to see if the price was a fair price so I would know for the next time. There is, however, a local saw mill. I'll have to check with him the next time. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Merry and Happy...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Pauley said:
The cherry I purchased is most likely going to be a small box of some sort, haven't really decided yet. I did not surface it myself, it came that way. I was just curious to see if the price was a fair price so I would know for the next time. There is, however, a local saw mill. I'll have to check with him the next time. Thanks everyone for all the info. Merry and Happy...
I get 4/4 cherry for about 5.50 a bf. that's the standard stuff. Not wide qsawn or whatever.

Board foot equals lxwxh in inches /144.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
4/4 cherry means 1 inch cherry. 1/2" cherry would be 2/4 cherry. So 4/4 planed to 1/2 is not how it would be described. Price is not bad depending on grade. Thinner wood is not cheaper per board ft. If you got 7 square ft of cherry you really only got 3 1/2 bd ft.
7x 12 x 1/2 = 3 1/2
7 x 12 x 4/4 = 7
hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Pauley said:
Qty. 7 BDFT Shorts bin Description: 4/4 Cherry Surfaced 1/2". Retail 3.720. $26.04
What was the total length and width of the 1/2" boards that you bought?
I buy rough sawn 4/4 cherry for $3 per board foot KD. Local sawyer.
TOM

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TomC said:
What was the total length and width of the 1/2" boards that you bought? I buy rough sawn 4/4 cherry for $3 per board foot KD. Local sawyer. TOM
They were random widths, like 4 to 6 inch ... Approx. each board was bout 3 ft or so long and there were 5 or 6 boards.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in New Hampshire also and find highland hardwoods to have good prices. Goose Bay in Chichester is the only other supplier in my area that I know of and they are comparable in pricing. The shorts bin at highland is always my first stop, but I buy rough cut only.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mrcanterbury said:
I live in New Hampshire also and find highland hardwoods to have good prices. Goose Bay in Chichester is the only other supplier in my area that I know of and they are comparable in pricing. The shorts bin at highland is always my first stop, but I buy rough cut only.
That's, more or less, what I was looking for...by the way, I live in Derry....have you ever gone to Esty's Lumber in Londonderry?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.