Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased some 1/2 cherry boards. Not ever having to purchase any hardwood before (I've always used either pine or poplar from homey depot), I am curious to see if what I purchased was expensive or about a nominal price...

I purchased 7 board feet of 4/4 cherry surfaced 1/2". It was on sale for $3.72 a bf. the sale was 40% off! which should make it about $5.20 a db ft.

Do you think this a fair price, or was the place I went to on the expensive side.

Also, how the heck do you figure out a board foot....for dummies like me...?

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas to youse guyz!

·
bzguy
581 Posts
4/4 is a fraction that refers to the original rough 1". 4/4=1
It was "on sale" no doubt because people normally buy and plane it to 3/4 ".

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just purchased some 1/2 cherry boards. Not ever having to purchase any hardwood before (I've always used either pine or poplar from homey depot), I am curious to see if what I purchased was expensive or about a nominal price...

I purchased 7 board feet of 4/4 cherry surfaced 1/2". It was on sale for $3.72 a bf. the sale was 40% off! which should make it about $5.20 a db ft.

Do you think this a fair price, or was the place I went to on the expensive side.

Also, how the heck do you figure out a board foot....for dummies like me...?

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas to youse guyz!
did you surface it your self?? if so you just thro away 1/2 of the wood, that is why i buy ruff sawn wood , and plane it down, if it was my 4/4 i would have sawn it down to just about 1/2 and than i would had a good 3/8" left over to use , just saying my self i wouldn't buy from the box store, i have a complete shop with all the tool's need to do the planning and joinging , i guess you have to start some where, if you are going to stay in wood working get some tool's when you can, it will save lot's of money good luck i just read this from your post It was on sale for $3.72 a bf. the sale was 40% off! which should make it about $5.20 a db ft. like it was said in another post a bf is a board 12x12x1" that is a board feet, so what you got was like 3' 1/2 bf because it was 1/2" thick so if it was 1"thick it whould be $7.44 a bf than , depends where you are located make's the price , if it is what you need and need it fast , you have no choice ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You should be able to get 3/4 thickness S4S of 4x4. 1/2 looks a bit small for me. I buy cherry (4x4 S2S) in local macbeath for 6.26 per bf. So far I wasn't be able to find any other place who sale cheaper good quality hardwood in SF Bay area.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cherry I purchased is most likely going to be a small box of some sort, haven't really decided yet. I did not surface it myself, it came that way. I was just curious to see if the price was a fair price so I would know for the next time. There is, however, a local saw mill. I'll have to check with him the next time. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Merry and Happy...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Pauley said:
The cherry I purchased is most likely going to be a small box of some sort, haven't really decided yet. I did not surface it myself, it came that way. I was just curious to see if the price was a fair price so I would know for the next time. There is, however, a local saw mill. I'll have to check with him the next time. Thanks everyone for all the info. Merry and Happy...
I get 4/4 cherry for about 5.50 a bf. that's the standard stuff. Not wide qsawn or whatever.

Board foot equals lxwxh in inches /144.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
4/4 cherry means 1 inch cherry. 1/2" cherry would be 2/4 cherry. So 4/4 planed to 1/2 is not how it would be described. Price is not bad depending on grade. Thinner wood is not cheaper per board ft. If you got 7 square ft of cherry you really only got 3 1/2 bd ft.
7x 12 x 1/2 = 3 1/2
7 x 12 x 4/4 = 7
hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
I am a little confused as to what you actually got. What were the dimensions of the wood that you took home and what was the total price paid?

George

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GeorgeC said:
I am a little confused as to what you actually got. What were the dimensions of the wood that you took home and what was the total price paid? George
Here is the invoice of what I purchased. It was from the short bin and is 1/2 thick cherry.

Attachments

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GeorgeC said:
That is too small to read. Can you just write the numbers. George
Qty. 7 BDFT

Shorts bin

Description: 4/4 Cherry Surfaced 1/2". Retail 3.720. $26.04

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Pauley said:
Qty. 7 BDFT Shorts bin Description: 4/4 Cherry Surfaced 1/2". Retail 3.720. $26.04
What was the total length and width of the 1/2" boards that you bought?
I buy rough sawn 4/4 cherry for $3 per board foot KD. Local sawyer.
TOM

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TomC said:
What was the total length and width of the 1/2" boards that you bought? I buy rough sawn 4/4 cherry for $3 per board foot KD. Local sawyer. TOM
They were random widths, like 4 to 6 inch ... Approx. each board was bout 3 ft or so long and there were 5 or 6 boards.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
They were random widths, like 4 to 6 inch ... Approx. each board was bout 3 ft or so long and there were 5 or 6 boards.
Do you not know exactly what you bought? It is very difficult for someone to tell you whether or not you got a good price without exact information.

George

·
Registered
62 Posts
I live in New Hampshire also and find highland hardwoods to have good prices. Goose Bay in Chichester is the only other supplier in my area that I know of and they are comparable in pricing. The shorts bin at highland is always my first stop, but I buy rough cut only.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mrcanterbury said:
I live in New Hampshire also and find highland hardwoods to have good prices. Goose Bay in Chichester is the only other supplier in my area that I know of and they are comparable in pricing. The shorts bin at highland is always my first stop, but I buy rough cut only.
That's, more or less, what I was looking for...by the way, I live in Derry....have you ever gone to Esty's Lumber in Londonderry?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I buy 4/4 cherry for $1/bd.ft. only air dried but its pretty dry by the time I get it. A couple days inside and its ready to use. Helps to know someone with a saw mill :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts