Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a high school student building an outdoor bar in my backyard. Everything has gone smoothly, but I'm debating on what to make the countertop out of. My family just redid our kitchen and we have all of this tongue and groove cherry wood left over. Not being too experienced with wood, I'm not sure if cherry can be put outdoors. While mostly under a roof, the counter would be exposed to rain and the New Jersey climate. I would definitely coat it with some preserver or sealer (monthly/yearly if I needed to), but some people I've talked to said cherry is not supposed to be outside. I want to be careful and I don't want to build the counter then have it be ruined in a year so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya man they're right.... cherry doesn't do well outside. At all.... but somebody here might have an idea of what type of finish you could apply to it to make it impervious to the weather. Some kind of epoxy or that thick stuff you see on bar tops maybe?... you're basically coating it in thick plastic that way and it seems to me that it could be done...

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I hesitate to offer any advice on trying to make cherry work as I don't know how the bar topper type products fare outside. You could read the labels they are usually available online.

We have some fellas here who do have experience with those products hopefully they'll be along shortly.

Welcome.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I would not underestimate black cherry for its decay resistance. It ranks right up there with other hardwoods, and fairs better than many really (and better than some "outdoor" woods like most of the cedars). But we are talking about the finish here. I would look into a marine finish like Spar, here is some http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17644&cookietest=1
UV protection as well as waterproofing is the goal, marine varnish should do both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts