Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to remove the shadows or fading that happens on Cherry wood. Such as leaving a board on top of another board and not covering the whole board.

·
7,222 Posts
Sanding the surface back to bare wood is the only way.

The darkening is the normal oxidation process. This may be superficial, or may be deeper than it appears.

Bleaching/staining will not help, the areas will still not be the same colour.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
DST said:
And I would like to know the tonic if that wouldn't be too much of I hi jack
Look in my profile under "threads I've started" titled No Stain Cherry Stain. You can see all the pieces I've used it on too.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cherry shadows

Good morning all.
thanks for all of your input, I did not think there was any solution to this issue as Cherry has been doing this for a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent pieces of wood to get the shadows if you forget to leave a piece of wood or something laying on an unfinished piece, and forgetting about it for week or two?

·
7,222 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent pieces of wood to get the shadows if you forget to leave a piece of wood or something laying on an unfinished piece, and forgetting about it for week or two?
The only solution I can think of is for the pieces to be in total darkness.

The "shadow" as you call it, is due to exposure to UV which causes the wood to darken. Most species of wood darken with UV, but cherry is particularly sensitive. I have read where people have had a "shadow" while leaving a board on top of the cherry just over a lunch break.

So you need to be careful about storing/handling the cherry.

·
Registered
28,398 Posts
I remember one shop I worked at a guy took a cardboard cover off a bunk of cherry plywood that was sitting in the sun. That was bad enough but he laid a saw blade on the sheet and went to lunch. Thirty minutes later you could tell how many teeth the saw blade had on it. We just set that sheet aside and left it uncovered until the image of the saw blade blended into the rest of it and sanded the sheet. This was about 30 years ago when the veneer on plywood run thicker than it does now. I'm not sure you could sand it as much today as we did then but it worked then.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
rslobodnik said:
Good morning all.
thanks for all of your input, I did not think there was any solution to this issue as Cherry has been doing this for a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent pieces of wood to get the shadows if you forget to leave a piece of wood or something laying on an unfinished piece, and forgetting about it for week or two?
I have a house full of cherry. Even after its finished the sun will effect it. Can't set a vase on it in any one spot too long. After a few years it will not be as sensitive.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.