Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our club meeting last month someone brought some cherry and suggested we all take a piece and turn something that we can donate to the Wags-n-wiskers rescue shelter so they could sell them to make some money. At the end of the meeting I was talking(as usual) and didn't pick up any until everyone had left. There was one piece left. It was junk. Big splits through it, 2 sides were rough chainsawn and the ends were split.
I sat down Tuesday night and thought about making miniature goblets out of it, which was just about all it was good for. Then I decided I would turn the sides. I jointed one side flat and then sawed and handplaned the other side flat. This gave me 2 sides with only minor dings.
I mounted this on the lathe and turned the other 2 sides, then I put coves in them. I remounted it on the lathe off center using double stick tape and several layers of string to hold it. I put a metal bar on the other end for counter balance. I didn't really trust the whole rig and stayed well out of the line of fire. Good thing. I just about finished turning the bowl shape when the wood came free broke the string and faster than you can blink it was on the floor near my jointer. It had hit the bed, then the jointer and then the floor. Fortunately all the dings were on the corners and easily sanded off.
I remounted it but this time I used webbing and screws. Returned the bowl shape and then put gold leaf on it.
It's nothing I'm particularly proud of. If I did it again I would add some shape to it rather than leaving it more or less flat.
This is both views.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
John,
good job on turning something that seemed headed to the firepit into something neat. Did you turn the little gold bowl on both pieces, or did you quit while you were ahead after the first one flew off? The coved sides look really cool.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't have a clue what it is or could be, But I think it's great. It would be a great piece just to put on your shelf or something. Nicely done.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't know what it's used for, then it must be Art. Yipee I'm an artist.
Mike I only turned one bowl. The second shot is the back side. Now that I have a better idea of how to mount these pieces I am going to make a larger wooden faceplate and get some steel or lead with holes in them for easier balancing. I may also make up some webbing with grommets to make tying the wood down quicker and easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts