Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some images and a video of the finished mobile arm that I built for our upcoming first born. The arm and bracket are curly maple with some 1/4-20 toilet bolts embedded in them. The arm is made from three sections that are segmented and joined with 3/8" dowels. The very tip has a section of walnut glued in with a perpendicular grain direction to reinforce. In hindsight, this is totally unnecessary, but it looks good, too. :laughing: The bracket that holds the whole thing to the crib is elephant shaped. The credit for this part of the project goes primarily to Dave Paine, who set me up with a scroll saw. Though the cuts may not look intricate to some, but they were challenge enough for me! I look forward to doing a lot more scrolling through thinner, softer wood. Kenbo also gets some credit here since his YouTube videos guided me into the basics of scrolling--so thanks a lot to both of you :thumbsup:.

The frame that holds the animals is hard maple, stained to match the cherry. Both are finished in satin finish poly. The animals are crocheted by my very crafty wife :yes:. The whole thing is held together with ribbons, which actually keep the thing moving pretty well whenever they are touched (see video).

·
7,222 Posts
Woohoo, I love this - design and implementation. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well done Ben, you are starting out very well in the world of scroll sawing. Nice preparation for the future baby. :yes:

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your kind words! I've got a couple more baby-oriented projects in the works. These are a little more stressful since they all have a definite deadline :eek:!! One is an add-on to a used dresser to convert it to a changing table. Another project is a cubby/shelving unit for the nursery room. Stay tuned and I'll post images of those as they develop or are complete. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
909 Posts
That looks great! You're a good photographer, too... as I scrolled down I half expected to see a link to an Etsy store.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The little one is already SPOILED, and not even here yet to enjoy, but SOON, huh.

Very nice, wife did GOOD tooooooo.

You, and your bride will soon enjoy a wonderful experience.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Married 53 years today, OH, how time slips away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts