Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a lidded box the other day. Body is cherry, the finial is a wood called quina. The stripe was done with a Wagner texturing tool I just got. The tool worked pretty well and wasn't that difficult to use. The box is 8" tall x 3 1\2" in diameter.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lidded Box

Nice looking turning. Does the texturing tool work kind of like wheel dressing tool where you just hold against the turning and it embeds the wood whatever depth you want depending on how much pressure you use? I really like that little design.

Good Work,

Bandman

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking turning. Does the texturing tool work kind of like wheel dressing tool where you just hold against the turning and it embeds the wood whatever depth you want depending on how much pressure you use? I really like that little design.

Good Work,

Bandman
Bandman,
That's exactly how it works. It embosses, doesn't do any cutting. In the instructions, they recommend it for softer woods and not real hard species. It will make a number of different patterns including a spiral.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike Nice looking box. I like the detailing with your new tool. What size do you have? Jim
Jim,
I have the 3/8" wide tool, 16 teeth per inch.

Jerry,
You have to go slow with the Wagner tool. I was around 350 rpms. Finish is several coats of brushing lacquer rubbed on with a white tube sock. After drying for about 10-15 minutes, buffed and waxed using the Beall wheel system. Leaves a glass smooth finish.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Jim,
... Finish is several coats of brushing lacquer rubbed on with a white tube sock ...
Mike, I don't think I've seen this on the shelves (it was probably there but my powers of recognition are severely weakened when I'm in Woodcraft or Rockler).

Can you post a quick snap of the can showing the label, etc. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dunc,
The brushing lacquer actually came from Home Depot. It's made by minwax, and it's about the only thing they make that I use. I don't like their stains.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts