Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I started a thread asking for opinions on using cherry for a kitchen due to its color variations and darkening.

Well I completed it back in September but just finally getting around to posting pics.

Excuse the mess....after all, the house IS lived in ;)

10 years ago I built an entire kitchen and swore I would never do it again... but then again, I wasn't planning on building a new house, but a woman will do that to you won't she :laughing:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Wow! That is truly amazing. I can't get over the floor. Excellent contrast between flooring and cabinets.

I bet it was well worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Maybe you should go with your wifes instincts more often. I say that because that kitchen looks awesome! I like the look of the shroud over the window too. It looks first rate to me sir!

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Beautiful work Rich. Turned out great. What kind of wood is that floor, looks pretty wild. Now go get some of those stone look outlet and switch plates and get rid of the white ones. Tile looks nice also.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

The flooring is clear coated Asian walnut, also called Acacia.

It wasn't so much my girlfriend's idea, but the fact that we lived 50 miles apart and needed to meet somewhere in the middle due to work locations, we decided to build, and I wasn't going to pay a cabinet shop to do something I could do myself.

One thing that saved A LOT of work was having all of the panels shaped at a local cabinet shop. They have a CNC machine that rough cuts, smooth cuts, and then sands the raised panel cove all in one pass. Plus my router table raised panel bit only cuts 1 1/2" deep and I needed 1 3/4" due to the applied molding.

I had no life for about 4 months where I spent almost all of my spare time in the shop. Also had to park outside during most of that time because my 2 stall garage was packed with cabinets. Every time I walk into a commercial cabinet shop I think "This is what I need" :laughing:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I now have cabinet envy! Wow... that is a kitchen in which I would love to make memories with the family. In our house, the kitchen really brings the family together, and yours is definately a beautiful place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts