Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished this goblet yesterday. It's made of cherry and is 7" tall. Our turning club monthly contest for next month is goblets, so this is my entry. It has a captive ring and some carving and burning. I have a nephew that just had a baby last week. Probably going to give it to them.
Mike Hawkins;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great

Being a new turner I have to ask... Whats with the sock and golf ball? Stability?
Chris,
once the top of the goblet is done and you want to start cutting down the stem, you need to stabilize the top area so you don't start getting vibration and flexing of the stem once it gets narrowed down. I put the sock and golf ball inside the cup, then used a stebcenter in my tailstock to put pressure on the golf ball. The sock cushions the inside and keeps it from getting marred by the golf ball. Some people use tennis balls, rubber balls, anything to take up the space so a tailcenter can be brougth up to stablize things. Good eye.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chris,
once the top of the goblet is done and you want to start cutting down the stem, you need to stabilize the top area so you don't start getting vibration and flexing of the stem once it gets narrowed down. I put the sock and golf ball inside the cup, then used a stebcenter in my tailstock to put pressure on the golf ball. The sock cushions the inside and keeps it from getting marred by the golf ball. Some people use tennis balls, rubber balls, anything to take up the space so a tailcenter can be brougth up to stablize things. Good eye.
Mike Hawkins;)

Thanks!

And on a side note - I have been lurking on this site for a while know, and I just realized something..... you are Mike Hawkins. The same Mr. Hawkins in the North Coast WoodTurners Association I am a part of. I am the younger kid who sits in the back with Dave.

Crazy small word. See you in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Beautiful!!! There are a few of you on here that really blow my mind. I'm assuming you have a lot of experience and obviously a ton of talent. What kind of lathe are you using? Just incredible and a great way to show multiple talents.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully Done :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: firehawkmph

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clpead said:
Beautiful!!! There are a few of you on here that really blow my mind. I'm assuming you have a lot of experience and obviously a ton of talent. What kind of lathe are you using? Just incredible and a great way to show multiple talents.
Thanks Cl. I have a Jet 1642 lathe. Started out with a 10" Jet midi. Both very good machines. I've been turning for about 8 or 9 years now. Biggest plus is I belong to a good turning club. Really shortens the learning curve and I've seen over two dozen of the big name turners. If you have a club in your area, I would highly recommend you check them out.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chriskoww said:
Thanks!

And on a side note - I have been lurking on this site for a while know, and I just realized something..... you are Mike Hawkins. The same Mr. Hawkins in the North Coast WoodTurners Association I am a part of. I am the younger kid who sits in the back with Dave.

Crazy small word. See you in a couple of weeks.
See you in a couple Chris.
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts