Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to do this for a long time. Make a box and then sand facets into it. Dummy me picked cherry which of course burns too easily so I had to use a courser abrasive than I wanted and man did I have to touch it lightly. Got it all finished and then realized it was very hard to properly align the lid. Solved that problem by texturing one facet with my Dremel engraver You can see it if you look close. It's far more subtle when you hold it in your hand. it's about 4 1/2" tall.

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Either way, it still is very nice.
You sure have an imagination when it comes to your work. Nice work as expected.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
John, you never cease to amaze me. You do some excellent projects.

Mark

·
Registered
569 Posts
I like it, although it looks simple is design I suspect non wood workers will never realize how much work that is, not to mention is made from that tool dulling cherry. I got a few black cherry chunks laying around and I made something from it once.....once

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gosh I don't consider cherry tool dulling at all. In fact I turned this inside and out without having to sharpen my gouge. Quite often I will sharpen before making the final cut on the outside. My tools just kept on cutting on this one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Beautiful! Can you describe the process for the detailing on the inside of the top? Is it engraved, or how did you do it?

Hwood, I agree with John that regular cherry turns beautifully. I have never worked with Black Cherry before, so maybe it is harder, or maybe your chunk of wood is abnormally harder.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The detail on the inside takes about 10 seconds using a chatter tool. It is basically a piece of metal that is springy and sharpened on the tip like a scraper. When you stick it into the wood it vibrates and flexes and produces chatter marks. Then I just touch the wood gently with a colored marked to highlight the raised portions. It only works on end grain however. It just tears up sidegrain.

There is another tool I don't have called a Decorating Elf that will produce somewhat similar patterns in side grain as well as end grain.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meant to say it's very easy to make a chatter tool. I take a stiff jigsaw blade, and grind the teeth off. the grind a V on the tip and just hold it with Vice grips so about 3/4" or more hangs out. It works just about as well as my commercial made product. I think the commercial one works better on hard woods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts