Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an order for one of these and scored a wonderful piece from a larger slab. Depending on how this goes, the client will want me to make something from the other half.

So, I've checked the cracks with nicely grained walnut bowties and poured 2 part epoxy to fill in a bark inclusion/void running in the piece. I want this to be pretty translucent when light hits it. Its really neat looking.

My big dilemma right now is three or four legs. I want them splayed at 10 degrees and I am having some difficulty visualizing how this this should reconcile itself. Cutting and fitting them today to get a sense of composition. Will post more pics as this comes along.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
NICE chunk of wood!!!!

Reactions: gideon

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I like the center inclusion. As far as the legs goes, it looks like 3 would compliment the shape of the slab.
Can't wait for the outcome.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I keep seeing these "bowties" or "butterflies" to tie down cracks and splits. Is there a video on how to do these? Are they routed in?

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Nice Chunk.
The epoxy will essentially glue that barked crack.
I suggest you pour lacquer thinner on the surface.. It will tell you what a lacquer or epoxy finished color will look like. You might be surprised. It richens the color drastically

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Chunk.
The epoxy will essentially glue that barked crack.
I suggest you pour lacquer thinner on the surface.. It will tell you what a lacquer or epoxy finished color will look like. You might be surprised. It richens the color drastically
this will be a tung oil/varnish finish. i don't mess with lacquer.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is what I went with underneath. I laminated the rails alternating ring direction which should provide some additional strength if this starts moving. I have another rail section I'm preparing to be extra sure.

legs are four side tapered with 5 and 65 hand planes and sanded smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stunning. I love coming here just for the inspiration.

Jim Bunton

Reactions: gideon
1 - 20 of 23 Posts