Woodworking Talk banner

Cherry bowl

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Syd Sellers 
#1 ·
Here's another blank that was roughened out awhile back. Turned without any problems. Carved the top again. 9 1/2" x 2 1/2". One of these days I'm going to have to get some more carving tools. I only have two. The carving part really doesn't take that long and is very relaxing, as long as you don't slip and screw it up.
Mike Hawkins

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's my carving secret to make things easier. I clamp a wooden clamp to the lathe bed with a large C clamp. I leave the bowl in the chuck and clamp the chuck in the wooden clamp. Keeps everything tight and with a small twist of the wooden clamp, you can loosen the chuck to turn it. Works well and puts it at a nice height to work on.

Attachments

#14 ·
Mike, I need to pick your brain, I see that you have marked out a few cuts ahead of your work, but have you got a means of figuring out the spacing so it all comes out even in the end??? See I would have to use the index wheel and get it perfect before I would start and by then I have given up already.... Give me a few clues if you can.

I like your holding methods, and you have really produces a winner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.