Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a cherry bookshelf I just finished for my girlfriend. I finally got to use my shaper and my dado set. It came out so glossy it's hard to see the details! Then ends of the sides have a fluted trim on them.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Nice. I bet you got a backrub for that. :shifty:

But any bookshelf needs a back even when you are trying to break new ground. A mid-room bookshelf will never stand the test of time, and even though we as guys say "But it is against the wall" . . . it will trap books, ornaments, and "stuff" behind it. It cannot be the centerpiece either as it looks in one picture unless it is in a public library. And it ain't.

Start deciding right now that you are going to have to modify things. :glare:

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
The other advantage of a back is that it provides additional rigidity to the whole assembly. You can always add one later if you need to.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
It came out great, and looks good the way you have it set up. If you were to use it as a library type unit, or a backless unit that would have books and knick knacks, and you wanted to see through or the wall, that would preclude you installing a back. In that case if the upper apron and lower apron (skirt), is high enough, you can tuck gussets in the corners to add to the rigidity to keep it from racking.

If you decide to put in a back, and can't find 1/4" cherry, you could buy enough veneer to cover any 1/4" substrate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts