Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some Danish oil with a stain in it thinking that since it Danish oil it would not blotch. Any ideas on how to smooth it out like a darker stain?:huh:

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
You need to wash the oil off the surface and sand the dark spots and re-apply the oil. If it were me I would use paint stripper to cut the oil. Otherwise it gets aggravating having the oil gum up the sandpaper. At least use lacquer thinner.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Next time apply the danish oil and then apply another coat with the stain. The first coat will act as a conditioner. Let the first coat dry before applying the second.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cherry is notorious for blotching when stained. Sometimes adding additional stain to the lighter areas can help match them to the blotched, darker areas, but since there's Danish oil on/in the wood to seal it, that might not work well.
Next time, to minimize blotching, try what's mentioned above or a wash coat of Zinsser's Sanding Sealer before staining. (50/50 Sealer & denatured alcohol)
When in doubt, practice on some scraps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I put some Danish oil with a stain in it thinking that since it Danish oil it would not blotch. Any ideas on how to smooth it out like a darker stain?:huh:
Cherry is bad about blotching clean surface with alcohol, lacquer thinner as best you can then sand a little to 220-320 grit just enough to get the raised grain. If the blotch is still bad I don't have a cure. BUT, if you can live with the color put a wash coat of cut shellac on with a pad let dry 30 minutes then re oil the wood. the shellac does not allow the oil to penetrate too deeply to even out color then top coat with varnish. I AWAYS put a wash coat of shellac (dewaxed) on for many reasons. The reason your cherry blotched is if you look at the cherry @ say 30-40 degree angle under a microscope you would see the wood is really a bundle of straw like tubes some pointing at you others pointing away from you in a random pattern. The ones looking at you after you oiled the board would appear darker than the ones pointing away from you because the oil would be filling the tubes pointing at you. If you turn the board and look at it from different angles the blotch will change color and move around. Does that make any sense? ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts