Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I posted an overview of a king size cherry bed that I made for my son who is in grad school. Last spring, I completed building a dresser and two night stands to go with the bed, so I thought some of you might like to see process I went through to build these pieces.

These first pictures show the building of the carcass and face frames for the one nightstand and the dresser. I later discovered that I had enough left over material to build the second nightstand, but I wont bore you with those pictures. The carcass is made from 3/4" cherry plywood with 3/4" cherry face frames. You may notice that I choose to put the face frames on the carcass after assembling the carcass, rather than before. I did that because I like flush trimming the face frames next to veneered plywood rather than sanding. I built a jig for my router table that works really well at this task, but of course that cant be done with the face frame attached.

Anyway, that is what I did, fitting each piece of the face frames individually.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I decided to make the drawers with a cock beading detail, which turned out to be quite a bit more work than I anticipated. Here is a photo of a drawer glue up. I didn’t want false drawer fronts, so I had to find a way to make the cherry plywood the front of the drawer, and to cover the exposed plywood edges with the cock beading. The answer I came up with is in the drawer joint shown below which allowed me to have the cock beading cover the edges of the plywood, but still use the cherry ply for the front of the drawer.








I wanted to dress up the base of the three pieces, so I came up with the idea of combining some beaded molding with a scalloped skirt at the base. I made these pieces from ¾” cherry using my router table, a jig saw for the curves, and a drum sander bit in my drill press to clean up the jig saw cuts.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I glued up some ¾” cherry panels for the tops of the pieces, rounded over the edges and used the same crown molding that I used for bed I posted earlier. I also used the same chamfer with a lamb’s tongue for the edges of the face frames. The drawer cock beading was made by cutting 3/16” x ¾” strips of cherry on the table saw and then rounding over the edges on the face side at the router table and mitering the corners. I sanded everything down to 220. Here are the pre-finished results.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The finish on the project was a little tricky, because I wanted it to match perfectly with the finish on the bed that I had completed a year and a half earlier. As you know, cherry tends to darken over time and the same finish formula I used previously would not match the current color of the previously made bed. I used the same shellac sealer coat, monarch stain and followed up with a more aggressive use of spray toner to try to match the color of the bed. It came out very close to a perfect match. Here are some photos of the finished pieces, along with the previously made bed.









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About a month ago I posted a thread about a cherry bedroom set that I made for my son. I have to apologize, because a lot of you apparently tried to view the project build pictures with no success. I had previously used google.docs as my photo depository, but apparently either that site has changed or my ability to use it has vanished.

Anyway, I have corrected the problem of not being able to view the pictures, although my skills as a photographer still require much refinement.

Sorry for the screw up guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
What a gorgeous Cherry bedroom set! The room looks elegant, each piece is well designed, built and finished. Very lucky son to have those pieces. I'm sure he's proud. Great job!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top