Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wanted a sleigh bed, but I didn't feel like sleeping in a sled. So I made her this 'mission-sleigh' combo. I like simple things. It's all Cherry with chestnut stain.
(and for those of you looking out the window - yes that's snow. I live in the interior of Alask)

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you aware that you've flattened a cat under it
Just don't tell my wife.

My current project is an armoire for her for xmas. I am a weekend warrior when it comes to wood projects, so it's a little slow going. Hopefully I have some picture up in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Very Nice! I really like the look of the bed. I intend on building a bed this winter for the wife and I. What size boards are the side rails and what sort of connection method did you use for them? Knock down hardware or joinery? After construction and or sleeping in it is there anything you would have done differently? Again Great Job!

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
nice work!!

Very nice work indeed, It looks like the mattress box frame is supported by cleats around the bed frame. Is that enough support or do you have some supports running in the center? Again nice work and stay warm!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size boards are the side rails and what sort of connection method did you use for them? Knock down hardware or joinery? After construction and or sleeping in it is there anything you would have done differently? Again Great Job!
The bedrails are 6". I used knock down hardware. I don't think I'd change anything. It's what I was going for, just a simple and strong bed.

It looks like the mattress box frame is supported by cleats around the bed frame. Is that enough support or do you have some supports running in the center?
There are 4 4" wide supports (not shown) that span between bedrails. I pocket-screwed them to the bed rails, too, to add extra support (for those who like to jump on the bed):laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts