Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Excellent job keeping the line of the bowl through that side bead -- having to stop and restart the path of the gouge as you step around the bead is a lot trickier than I expected it to be the first couple of times I tried it. (Still haven't gotten it to where I'm happy with it.)

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
charry bowl

Hi Mike nice job on the beaded bowl great looking finish Question for you on the base of your bowl. Did you end up jamb chucking it and either parting or turning the tennon off in some manor Did you finish on or off the lathe what is the finish again looks nice.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mike nice job on the beaded bowl great looking finish Question for you on the base of your bowl. Did you end up jamb chucking it and either parting or turning the tennon off in some manor Did you finish on or off the lathe what is the finish again looks nice.

Jerry
Jerry,
I have a large set of bowl jaws to grab the rim of the bowl. Then I turn off the tenon and finish the bottom. The finish I use most of the time is brushing lacquer from home depot. I use my old white tube socks to wipe it on. 3-4 coats, then I hit it on the three buffing wheels (Beall buffing system) mounted on a big Jet buffer motor.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Looks like you have been working. It looks very nice. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well it should have one. The shape is great with a good continuous curve. The beads are clean and well spaced. The grain orientation is excellent. No sanding or turning marks and the finish is good. Mighty fine work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts