Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Matt, I'm an IT professional here in Cleveland (right on the lake, downtown). I've done everything from digging footers to laying block, to doing carpentry/wiring/plumbing/gas lines for kitchens/bathrooms/bedrooms/etc, to tearoff and resheeting/roofing, to barn repair, to well pump installation, to installing windows/doors/ramps, you name it. In short, I've put my hands on almost every aspect of home ownership I can imagine, whether with friends and family or on my own, but I've yet to do any true fine woodworking.

I'm in the process of force-feeding my brain as much as it can learn over the next few weeks, then starting some projects. Tomorrow night I am making a long drive out to pick up a Delta table saw I spotted used, and I'm trolling the local used adds for a solid router (hoping to get a decent one with a 1/2" collet), as well as a miter saw or more ideally a radial arm saw. I'll be building my benches and feed table, reorganizing my basement and preparing to launch into a few years worth of work!

My short term goals are to learn my way around Sketchup, read as many back-issues of Woodsmith, watch as many videos and read these forums (and others) heavily and strike up conversations as I come up with questions.

I already appreciate the many veteran craftsmen on this site, and look forward to getting my hands dusty and my camera to work as I share my adventures with the community!

-Matt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Matt, Welcome to this great DIY site. :thumbsup:

Lots of experience here so don't be shy, ask questions and keep your camera charged up.

Always good to see a local guy join in.

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Welcome, Matt (sorry, no pun intended). Your story remindes of me. I was a builder in a previous life so when a friend tried to get me into woodworking several years ago, I told him, "if I can't use 16-penny nails and hit it with a mill-faced hammer, I don't want any part of it." But I'm starting to settle down to some closer to fine (not fine yet) "woodworking" now and like it. There's a lot of sharp guys and gals on this forum that can help with almost any facet of woodworking (I'm usually not included in that group but they let me hang around anyway). You can't help but learn something hanging out with these guys. And, we love pictures!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new too...

Welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking. I too am very new to this hobby and am approaching it in much the same way. I don't have any of the experience which you described, so I imagine that you will pick it up a bit more quickly. But that is ok, it is the journey that is fun.

I am sure that you will find a lot of help and friends here on WoodworkingTalk.com

It is a great place.:thumbsup:

p.s. Go Buckeyes! I live in Iowa, but I was born in Columbus.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Matt--------------------Welcome! Geoguy could have done this to but he has been hangin around just waiting for a guy named Matt to join the forum. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Extremelyaverage,
Beings i was raised in SE Ohio i won't hold it againt you for being raised in Columbus. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome all! Glad to see I have a few friendly faces close to home here :thumbsup: If any of you work downtown and ever want to grab a casual bite to eat during lunch hour, I'm very close to the Galleria (over by the E9th exit from the shoreway).

I'll have to get my camera out and start posting about my adventures! Brought my new (used) Delta table saw home last night and am prepping my basement for the fun times ahead. Time to study up on bench designs and start plotting out my floorplan...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts