Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been part of this forum for a while, and have not used it as much as I should have. I now have to rely on some advice about this project. I have myself a dilemma. This is a project I started about a year ago and have worked on it off and on. One of those projects that becomes annoying to have in the shop. One that you can't wait to be done with. I am sure it will look great in the end. The design involves a checkerboard with inlayed cup holder for a cold beverage and an inlayed checker pieces holder for the chips. The pieces will be turned on the lathe which I haven't reached that part of the project yet. I know I went overboard on the design. I am doing this for a family friend as a favor. Here is the problem. I inlayed the checker pieces holder by first creating a mortise and gluing in blocks that I drilled out with forstner bit. I am looking to veneer the "holder" so i looks nice and not just a couple of blocks glued together. This is my first time veneering. I have been able to cut a thin enough piece that will mate with the recess. I soaked them in water so they would be pliable enough to bend in the "trench" How am I to glue them in? Titebond glue works off evaporation and if the wood is wet when glued, how will that work? Will it thin out the glue? Should I use epoxy? Any suggestions? Second, How will I keep the veneer pressed into the trench while the adhesive dries? Sorry for the long winded explanation. Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,384 Posts
Titebond would be just fine for this glue up. As far as how to clamp it down, I would get a piece of dowel, with the same circumference as your checker recess and cut it just shy of the length of the checker recess. I would coat the dowel in waxed paper to prevent it from sticking to any other wooden part and, after coating the veneer (or the recess) with glue, I would press the veneer in place, using the dowel to ensure that it fits tightly down to the bottom. I would them clamp the down down and wait for the glue to dry. Did that make sense?

·
7,222 Posts
The lip on your veneer are not going to be easy to clamp unless you create a shape which includes the curve and the lip.

Perhaps cut a dowel so the depth is at the top of the curve, add a flat piece on top which will be the width of the overall slot.

I would use kitchen wrap as the film to prevent glue sticking. Thinner than wax paper and should take the shape easier.

Titebond will work with the veneer.

Did you drill out the shapes from a board then cut out the pieces?

Since you have a lathe, consider making a solid long piece. Drill/bore it out on the lathe and then cut in two. No need for the veneer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idea for clamping

While I'm not sure what kind of glue would be best here's an idea for clamping, maybe you could fill a bag with sand and put a scrap piece of wood on top and clamp down on that scrap piece so that the sand pushes out on all the surface of the veneer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts