Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Too many conflicts between the desire for cheap, the desire for a hard wood, and the locations where you want to purchase.

They may have some expensive soft maple.

FYI soft maple is one of several species.
silver maple
big leaf maple
box elder
striped maple
red maple

I expect most likely to be silver maple or big leaf maple, but never stated.

They may also have expensive walnut or cherry.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
If your just making cutting boards. Cut up some pallet material. Some of it is rock hard and not good for anything but short pieces. Will that be end grain or just fancy multi contrasting wood kind? You might find the pallet wood to be quite beautiful if the end grain were on the top.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
If your just making cutting boards. Cut up some pallet material. Some of it is rock hard and not good for anything but short pieces. Will that be end grain or just fancy multi contrasting wood kind? You might find the pallet wood to be quite beautiful if the end grain were on the top. Al Nails only hold themselves.
You should never use pallet material for anything that touches food. You never know what has leaked on a pallet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a couple of places here that aren't Lowe's or Menards.

What wood do you gents suggest that I ask for?

Pine is what those 2x4s are made of... you'll want a hardwood for a hard enough wood for a cutting board.
Ouch.

·
7,222 Posts
Technically a hard wood is from a tree whose seeds have a cover. So balsa, is deemed a "hard wood" although very soft.

A soft wood is from a tree whose seeds do not have a cover.

I do not consider pine dense. I do not think it is a good choice for a cutting board, especially end grain. The grain is too open.

For end grain application you want a tight grained species like hard maple, cherry, walnut, purpleheart, redheart, yellowheart, beech.

I think a dedicated lumber yard is a better source than Lowes or Menards. Also if you have a local Woodcraft they have better selection of species, although not cheap.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found 4 of those locally, Dave. The cheapest is the maple(if I wrote down the right one, oops.) @ $5 per board foot.

·
7,222 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You can't go wrong with maple, walnut, or cherry, and the combination of the three looks very nice. My local big box stores don't carry any of these species, not sure about your stores though. Of the three, maple tends to be the least expensive. I would source a decent lumberyard to get much better selection and pricing.

If you post where you're located, members here will be able to recommend some sources for hardwood.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The best and most used wood for cutting boards are maple, birch and cherry for accent wood. These are small pored woods that will pick up minimal bacteria and be easiest to clean.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If your in the Midwest...mills fleet farm sells rough cut hardwood as well. Maple, walnut, oak and others.

If your in Minnesota...vetch hardwoods in Rochester is top notch!!!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
How large of a cutting board are you making, the difference between the lowest cost suitable wood and the more expensive is going to be a matter of pennies for the average sized board. Why cheap out on material, that is sort of like buying cheap tools, buy once, cry once.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts