Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a small chapel in the Arts and Crafts style. First piece is the altar. Trying a new technique ... Fuming Qrt Sawn White Oak. Sanded Top to 220. Then 24 hours under Ammonia tent (extra-strength household ammonia). Another sanding with 220, followed by a coat of clear satin, brushing lacquer.
BTW .. 30x30 top size.

Wood Floor Wood stain Hardwood Table

· Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is one of the side panels before glue-up. I am waiting on the 1/4 Qtr Sawn Oak plywood sheets I ordered for the panels. When they arrive, hopefully tomorrow, then I can put it together. I am using loose tenon construction. (Sorry for the poor quality pic, I only had my old ipod with me at the time.)

Time to work on the front and back panels. In the back will be a drawer and a cabinet door. You always need storage.

Attachments

· Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Thomas
Very nice to see someone is using other methods of conditioning wood. Maybe you would like to expound on the process you are using. I have shared a method I use on cherry wood but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. Too bad all oak isn't quarter sawn. I think it looks best that way and gains a finer appeal.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Al B Thayer

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

· Registered
792 Posts
looks nice Thomas. I like the look of fumed white oak. could you elaborate a bit further? I did a piece a few years back where I laid a pie tin under it filled with household ammonia and tented with plastic for about a month. do you use a fan?

· crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
If I may, I fumed a piece this last winter and the results were outstanding! But, here's the but, you need to use an Ammonium Hydroxide that's at least a 28% solution. Why? because a weaker solution isn't strong enough to interact with the tannon in the wood.
I tried a test with a 10% ammonia, an industrial stength it said on the bottle and even after 18 hours there was very little color change.
I'm hooked on fuming oak and I have another piece that is almost ready for the tent.
I fumed the piece in my garden shed and it wasn't bad at all.
here's a link to my build if your'e interested.
Good luck!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/craftsman-style-sidetable-46992/

· Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been hesitant to add dovetails to my projects because I've always been a little intimidated by the joint. I am giving Sandor Nagyzszalanczy's table saw jig in July/August 2010 Woodworker's Journal a try. Finished the jig and cut my first test pieces. I'll have to fidget with it a little more but I like the jig overall.

I will try to document my fuming process later. I will say I am NOT using the 26% percent solution, and I am getting good results.

Attachments

· Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Firemedic, altar stones are not required anymore. Also this chapel will only be blest and not consecrated, so there are different rubrics; it will also by a Byzantine Catholic Chapel with an icon screen. I am still trying to figure out how do that in Arts and Crafts Style, no examples to look at.

· In History is the Future
6,422 Posts
Firemedic, altar stones are not required anymore. Also this chapel will only be blest and not consecrated, so there are different rubrics; it will also by a Byzantine Catholic Chapel with an icon screen. I am still trying to figure out how do that in Arts and Crafts Style, no examples to look at.
How strange that all of these things have changed, generally people point to the Second Vatican Council, yet it's nowhere to be found in writing - particularly not on the Council texts. :huh: What happened to Holy Mother Church's Historical Custodianship?

As for the Byzantine designs - are you familiar with faux mosaics done with sheetrock? I wish I had pictures, my artist brother did some very nice ones. The rock is scored to look like a mosaic and painted / gold leaved to be quite convincing.

EDIT:
What did the Army Chaplains and Missionaries carry in leu of an Alter Stone - Greek Corporals?

· Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
firemedic said:
How strange that all of these things have changed, generally people point to the Second Vatican Council, yet it's nowhere to be found in writing - particularly not on the Council texts. :huh: What happened to Holy Mother Church's Historical Custodianship?

As for the Byzantine designs - are you familiar with faux mosaics done with sheetrock? I wish I had pictures, my artist brother did some very nice ones. The rock is scored to look like a mosaic and painted / gold leaved to be quite convincing.

EDIT:
What did the Army Chaplains and Missionaries carry in leu of an Alter Stone - Greek Corporals?
Those aren't Greek Corporals, they were just corporals with relics sewn into them. It was easier to carry those around and put on top of a table or jeep, than to haul around an extra 5 pound stone and a special table with a whole cut into it to drop the altar stone into. The "Greek Corporals" or Antimensions have an elaborate icon of the Disposition of Christ on them, along with the date of its consecration, and the bishop who consecrated it.

There is a great picture of the Servant of God Emil Kapun using one during the Korean War. He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously just last month.

Attachments

· The Man
758 Posts
Those aren't Greek Corporals, they were just corporals with relics sewn into them. It was easier to carry those around and put on top of a table or jeep, than to haul around an extra 5 pound stone and a special table with a whole cut into it to drop the altar stone into. The "Greek Corporals" or Antimensions have an elaborate icon of the Disposition of Christ on them, along with the date of its consecration, and the bishop who consecrated it.

There is a great picture of the Servant of God Emil Kapun using one during the Korean War. He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously just last month.
Hey! Father Kapun!

When you say a "small chapel," just how small are we talking about?

Bobby

· Registered
315 Posts
Thomas
Very nice to see someone is using other methods of conditioning wood. Maybe you would like to expound on the process you are using. I have shared a method I use on cherry wood but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. Too bad all oak isn't quarter sawn. I think it looks best that way and gains a finer appeal.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Al B Thayer

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
Al,

You method for cherry didn't fall on deaf ears (I was the OP in the thread you shared it in), life (tough semester at school, challenged of new parenthood) got in the way and I actually am just now finishing up construction of the project. Probably going to have it all glued up and sanded this week or early next week. Then going to work on finishing.

Craig

· Registered
201 Posts
Fuming oak

so could someone tell me what fuming the wood actually does? and maybe a before and after picture please:eek::thumbsup:
Tommie this refers to darkening oak by introducing it to ammonia fumes, and yes it needs to be industrial 28%. This procedure was used by Stickley and also Green; pioneers of the "Stickley" type of furniture. Look up Stickley and Green and Green on the internet and you will see examples of their oak furniture, usually quarter sawn. The use of fuming ammonia is how they achieved the color of the oak. It is very, very, very strong ammonia and it WILL burn your eyes and take your breath away. You have to use rubber gloves and mask and limit your exposure. ken

· Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a little about the process I am using for fuming. I have not fumed woods earlier because I was continually reading that you needed aqua ammonia and the special precautions were nerve wracking. Everyone kept saying YOU CAN ONLY USE the 28% solution. There were a couple of places that said that regular household ammonia would do just fine. It will take longer and you have to make sure that the gases do not escape. It made sense. The principle is that the ammonia reacts with chemicals in the wood. So given enough time, the lower concentrate ammonia will react and as long as the ammonia fumes remain in the air within the container.

I used extra strength ammonia and placed it in two cafeteria trays. The more surface area covered the better results you will get. I have a couple of boards with some nails hammered in so that the wood does not overlap (if it overlaps there will be whiter areas - its like tan lines for wood). I also placed a strip of wood propped on blocks down the center so the tarp will not come in contact with the wood being fumed. I also have side supports to keep the tarp off the sides. I lay a thick, clear plastic tarp over the whole structure (Its clear so I can keep an eye on the process). I then place weights on the sides so that it keeps the fumes from escaping from under the tarp. I will wait 24 hours and then look at the process to decide if more time is required.

Here are some initial pictures I have taken. The first is the unprepared wood. The second is the setup before stacking the wood. The third is the wood stacked up and the fourth is everything covered and waiting to be transformed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.