Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys/gals often change or modify your plans while in the midst of a project?

For instance, my currently project I switched from mortise and tenon for all my joints to doweling just to save some time and because I don't have any experience doing M&T so this will save me time and maybe some mistakes. I think a smaller project would be best to first try my hand at M&T.

Do you change plans a lot, and if so what are some common reasons?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Absolutely. Sometimes I don't like the translation from autocad to wood and I'll change on the fly. Other times it's cause I'm half an inch short here or there. For stuff that isn't size critical I've changed to utilize what I had on hand.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Oh yes, probably a little more these days then I use to. LOl

Even the best thought out plans sometimes work better another way.
My wife is good for changing my mind. I’ll be struggling with something and then my wife will say “why didn’t you it this way”. :huh:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely. Sometimes I don't like the translation from autocad to wood and I'll change on the fly. Other times it's cause I'm half an inch short here or there. For stuff that isn't size critical I've changed to utilize what I had on hand.
Ya I can see that. There is one part on my project that I thought, "huh, that looked better in sketchup." But it still looks ok, just not quite the scale I had envisioned.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Well yes but with a qualification.

If I'm changing the design, I always go back to the CAD system and redraw that part of the project.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Sleeper said:
My wife is good for changing my mind. I’ll be struggling with something and then my wife will say “why didn’t you it this way”. :huh:
Mine too!!!!! Lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was just thinking this same thing. I will have things drawn out but by the end of the project it goes from measuring to holding and marking.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I often change design in the middle of a project. Sometimes it's because I discover an easier way to accomplish a task. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night with a better idea. Other times... I'll read a post on this forum that I really like. But most often, designs get changed to incorporate a mistake. I've hidden lots of errors with design changes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
On my latest project I changed it a few times, once because I had a better idea mid project and two other times because I just plain screwed up.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ha--all my reasons are listed above---I'm in great company.
Then again, when turning blanks--especially some of the ones I work with--the project can change in a split second--there's always a plan "B" and etc., besides sometimes mistakes just add "character" to the project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts