Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am brand new to making things with wood. I have recently spent about forty hours on one chess piece and just started the finish last night. The piece is turned out of Australian Buloke which is the hardest wood on earth.

I have sanded using 120, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800 and 000 Steel Wool. The finish the local Woodcrafters suggested is Tried and True Danish Oil. I put one very very light coat on, however after reading forums see it might not be the best for this project.

I am looking for something that will protect the piece as well as give it a good shine and not change the color much, slightly darker is fine. It is a display piece so won't be handled much and needs to be done in two weeks.

Should I continue using this product or switch to something else? Is it even possible to switch to another product?

Also, recently learned people often clean first with mineral spirits. Should I still do this or is it too late?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
27,311 Posts
From where you are just wipe off the project with lacquer or acetone and allow it to dry for a couple of days. Then do a light sanding with 220 grit paper and use another finish. I would recommend a wipe on polyurethane.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Do as Steve said, but instead I would use 3 coats of spray applied acrylic as it will not change the color or yellow after time and give the piece alot of depth. Scuff sand with 320 between each coat. You dont need to use mineral spirits, simply blow off the sanding dust.

I can only speak for Sherwin Williams products, and here are the products I suggest and the gloss of your choice. Being its Buloke, I feel it will look awesome in the highest sheen and bring out the richness of the wood.

Gloss .................................... T75C15 Around 85 sheen
Bright Rubbed Effect ........... T75F16 50-60 sheen
Medium Rubbed Effect ........ T75F17 35-45 sheen
Dull Rubbed Effect ............... T75F18 17-21 sheen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts