Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had these chairs for about 30 years. I use to build china cabinets, hutches, corner cabinets, etc for this store and towards the end he needed to sell before he could finish paying me and traded me a dining room set. The table is China, but the chairs arent. I havent seen this. Hard to find replacements on any network.

I need to finish the chairs. Can anyone suggest an easy to use product I can use in the garage over winter to clean these.

Suggest a user on this forum that its already been discussed? No YouTube videos please
Wood Natural material Wood stain Font Sculpture

·
Registered
28,783 Posts
The chairs are probably finished with lacquer. Still, with any refinishing project it should start with chemically stripping the finish. Just be sure you strip the chairs before cold weather sets in. No remover, including professional removers don't work well below 70 degrees. If you have the means of spraying then a lacquer finish would be the easiest finish to go back with. It will work in cold weather but you have to keep an eye on the humidity. It doesn't do well at 70% or more humidity.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Finishing the chairs is no problem. It's getting them.stripped...
If they are lacquered, try a hard scrubbing with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool or scotch brite pads. If it comes off, it's lacquered or shellacked and you will be rewarded without great effort. If the denatured alcohol doesn't touch it, you'll need a good commercial stripper to remove the varnish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts