Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Try youtube chain saw safety.

Never allow chain/blade to come in contact with the dirt/ground, will dull it at once. I PROMISE.

Never allow the round tip to touch anything, instant KICK BACK.

Never walk with saw running, without the chain brake set.

Just some of the tips.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Last July, I inherited a chainsaw. Green. Poulin? Very nice home-made box, oil, tools, etc = well maintained. Have not opened the box since I got it home. No plans until I find somebody to teach me the basics, maintenance/sharpening/cutting, including the important safety clothing to wear.

Down my street at the Diamond Willow shop, I know those guys run power saws as big as 36" bars (shop winter firewood). If spring ever comes, I'll start there.
Do not let that saw sit too long without starting it. Those things get harder and harder to start as they sit.

George

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
I can hardly use a chainsaw. I'm pretty scared of em. When I was 13, my dad and I were cutting firewood about a mile from the house. We had a tree back up onto the saw, causing it to jam. I was pushing against the tree, while he revved up the motor. When it came free it hit something, bounced out of the tree and into my leg. It cut right above the knee about an inch, all the way to the bone. I never even felt it, till they put painkiller shots into my leg at the hospital. The doc quit counting after 100 or so stitches, but there was like 6 or 7 layers of stitches, about eight inches long across my thigh there. Six months of wearing a cast and I was back to walking. So, I avoid chainsaws as much as I can. And I have a very healthy respect for safety practices and equipment.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts