Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
At my school, we have a shop that is often suffering a great buildup of dust due to the lack of an effective vac system. We have a vaccum device, but due to lack of funding we do not have the piping to go to all of the various machines. I was therefore wondering that if we were to get a system, what the best material would be. I know that other wood shops in out district have aluminum pipes, and some have a sort of semi-transparent PVC material. I was looking for some advice on weather to look into Aluminum, PVC, or a composite material.
Since the tubes will only be carrying dust, I guess it won't require super strong flying-nail proof siding, and I need to keep an eye out for budget (Which is very, very small).
Thanks in advance,
Nicholas

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look at www.grizzly.com They have a lot of dust removal equipment at reasonable prices. The clear tubing is good because you can see any obstructions, but it creats a TON of static buildup if not grounded properly. Metal, although better will be a bit more expensive.:yes:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Being a school you may be subject to some requirements that we hobbyists don't face. PVC is a great material for ducting, but has some of the same static problems mentioned earlier as the clear pipe. I think I would start by finding out if there are some restrictions on what you can/cannot do.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use regular thin wall sewer/waste PVC in my home shop and so do a lot of others. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts