Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. I built a puppet theatre for my sons birthday and had a lot of fun doing it so I deceided that I would like to try my hand at wood working as a hobby. I find it relaxing.

I not a total novice to power and hand tools. I built the deck on my house, put up 3 rail fencing and can turn a wrench when I need to. However mostly if not all of the wood working I have done has not required much precision to say the least.;)

As far as tools:
  • Dewalt 12" miter saw
  • Dewalt 18v drill
  • Ryobi circular saw
  • Ryobi jig saw
  • Makita palm sander
  • assorted screw drivers
  • couple of chisels my dad gave me (still in the packaging)
Thats about it. I posted another thread asking about tables saws that I am looking at. I guess I would like some other stuff but am looking on craigslist so i can save some cash. The other things I was thinking about were:
  • lots of clamps
  • router - maybe router table as well unless I can build one
  • drill press (found a few for $50-$90)
  • benchtop belt/disc sander
  • scroll saw (found a nice Delta 20" for $90)
I don't want to go crazy to start. Anything else I am missing? Thanks. I really enjoy reading on this forum. Here is a picture of the puppet theatre. Sides are on hinges and the windows open.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Nice puppet theater.

I eco phinds, you can never never never have enough clamps of any size and or shape. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome from Schuylkill county!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kevin,

Really like your puppet theater. I'm thinking of building one for my own grandkids and wonder if you'd pass along some details of the construction. Looks like it is cut from one sheet of plywood: 4x4 center section with 2x4 side panels. Did you use 1/2 inch plywood? I'd think 3/4 ply would be too heavy for a mom or the kids to move about.

Anyway, I like what you've done.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Welcome from Juniata county! Give a thought to a table saw from Lowes - I bought my Porter Cable there, and happy with it. They also carry other brands, and if you get their credit card, interest free for 6 to 18 months, depending on the promotion. I bought the PC on a 6 mo. interest free, and the Dewalt planer on an 18 month plan. Better of course paying cash, but it's the next best......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts