Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new here. I am doing some work on my front door. The storm door is pulling away from the wood it is attaced to. I found two two inch strips of wood running vertically. Then the fluted molding on top. Here is the question. When removed the wood, I found cement nails had been use. My house is brick. How do I safely remove the nails. Really would appreciate some help. Thank you A.Simmers

·
Registered
227 Posts
counter clock wise

Most cement nails that I have used can be best removed counter clock wise. To pull may bring morter chunk out.
Hello all. I am new here. I am doing some work on my front door. The storm door is pulling away from the wood it is attaced to. I found two two inch strips of wood running vertically. Then the fluted molding on top. Here is the question. When removed the wood, I found cement nails had been use. My house is brick. How do I safely remove the nails. Really would appreciate some help. Thank you A.Simmers

·
Registered
19 Posts
the nails are hardened. a sawsall wont work very good. just hit the hail up and down like your bending it and it will either snap off or fall out.

edit:
are the nails thru the door still? i was imagining them by them selves.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site asimmers!
I agree with blockhead. A reciprocating saw will work if you use a bi-metal blade. This approach will cause the least amount of damage to your frame and brick.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are these cut or fluted masonry nails? Cut nails can be gently tapped back and forth - not up or down - to loosen them. Fluted nails should probably be cut off flush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts