Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sydney, Australia
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I have borrowed from Asia on the form along with the opening or rim. 6x7", finished with WOP and buffed on top of the spirals. The wood is Camphor Laurel much of it is heart timber from a large branch. The CL that grows in this region is highly figured and at time amazing chatoyance, although it is not a popular wood to turn.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Gorgeous wood and turning, as per usual for you Hughie, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

When you say not the most popular, I presume it does not turn easy. Any specific issues, like tearout, or is it just a dense wood and needs sharp tools?

·
Sydney, Australia
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gorgeous wood and turning, as per usual for you Hughie, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

When you say not the most popular, I presume it does not turn easy. Any specific issues, like tearout, or is it just a dense wood and needs sharp tools?
Not popular as it considered a noxious weed here and so its often over looked. But other wise its a soft wood the turns and sands very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for sharing and the picture is great! You've done a fantastic job and it helps me to believe that in 5 years or so I might get to that level!! hahaha

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not really sure why people don't like it. It almost always has some nice patterns in the wood, if it spalts it is really cool. It turns easy and takes a finish. Just not a cool name I guess.
I would turn some if i had some haha. It looks pretty cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts